General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 honda accord stalling

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 04:36 PM
Default 96 honda accord stalling

I have a 4 cylinder 4 speed autmatic that keeps stalling out at first it starts great but after a few mins of driving it,it stalls out leave it sit for a few mins and it will fire back up again could then run for 2 mins or 2 hours then stall out again then again you have to sit and wait for it to fire up again i replaced the coil pack going to the distributor thinking it may be cracked and stop firing once it got hot but not the problem its really starting to annoy me i thought it maybe the fuel pump but everyone seems to think its a electrical or firing problem the only thing a computer reader tells me is that there is torque converter circuit open but thats in the tranny and dont think it woild be related to my stalling problem any help on this would be greatly appreciated tks

Old 05-19-2013, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

That last post was hard to read, because there is zero punctuation. Help us out when typing posts.

So all you have done so far is replace the coil? Also, please post the code you got (P####).

I have a few basic questions.

When were the spark plugs, distributor cap, and distributor rotor last changed?

When the car stalls out, will the engine start up right after the engine stalls out? Or do you always have to wait to restart after it stalls out?

When the engine is running, can you get the car to stall out by shaking the key?

Old 05-23-2013, 09:17 PM

I dont have the code number getting that red tomorrow and yes i always have to wait to restart sometimes not very long and sometimes longer then other times and i don't know when the spark plugs,distributor cap or rotor were last changed as u have only recently bought the car

Old 05-23-2013, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

I would replace the plugs, cap, and rotor; because those are maintenance items that need replaced at the proper interval. Only use NGK spark plugs ZFR5f-11 that you can get at most parts stores.

I prefer the Honda dealership for the distributor cap and distributor rotor, but aftermarket parts are probably ok too.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:36 PM

Just an update i figured out my stalling problem after a little trial and error it ended up being the ignitor in the distributor i just bought and replaced the whole distributor and car now runs great and hasnt stalled yet now in to fix the minor repairs