General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 Accord CV boot Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 06:56 PM
demoniam
Unregistered
Default 97 Accord CV boot Replacement?

Hi all

I could not find what I was looking for via search, so maybe someone could offer some help.

My wife drives a 1996 Honda Accord 4dr DX. last week, I noticed that both cv boots are torn and there is grease everywhere. There is no popping sounds when the wheel is turned, so I'm guessing that I can just repack and install new boots. Can someone point me to a good howto on this, or would it be better for ne to haul it to a shop?

Old 09-19-2006, 07:32 PM
Default RE: 97 Accord CV boot Replacement?

just doing the boots is actually quite easy when you catch it before the cv's go bad, just go to checker or whatever your local auto parts store and you can get just the split boot. cut the old one off and the new one should have split with clamps so it will just go on over the cv's without having to remove the hub assemblies and crap

Old 09-19-2006, 09:35 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

with all due respect to SIR ,, the way he adviced is not one that i would do,, it is a mickey mouse fix

remove the axle as per the DIY section, remove the boot clamps, hit the outer cv joint in the center part with a good size hammer , the joint will pop out, clean the joint and stuff it with grease, get a boot kit from a local part store 7-9 dollars it comes with boot, bands , clip and grease, slide the new boot into the axle install new band ( small ) , if kit does not come with clip no biggy just reuse the old clip, push clip in with a screwdriver and hammer the joint back in , put more grease into the boot, install big band and reinstall axle in car
piece of cake ,, the hardest part is to remove the axle nut

Old 09-20-2006, 02:57 AM
Super Moderator

Since the boots were torn, you should carefully inspect the CV joints for damage to the surfaces where the ***** ride in the spider & the cup. If you find any surfaces that aren't nice & smooth, you should replace the joint.

Normally, you want to catch it before the boots break open. Once dirt gets in there, it's damaging the rolling surfaces. So inspect carefully.