General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 Accord "No Start Issue"

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Default 97 Accord "No Start Issue"

I just recently purchased a 97 Accord DX F22b2, with auto trans. Car runs fine, but was noticing that it was getting hard to start. It would take a couple revolutions to get it to fire, but would eventually start and then run fine. Well Saturday I climbed in to start and it took forever to get it going (almost running the battery down), drove home with no issue. Went back out today and i cannot get it to start. Every once in a while, while cranking it will sputter like it is trying to fire, then goes back to just turning over. So far below is what I have checked.

*No Check Engine Light
*Turned key to on position and I can hear pump prime and stop
*Checked spark at the each spark plug with spark tester and have spark
*Removed air box and opened throttle body butterfly and sprayed brake cleaner (not sure if this works like starter fluid, all I had at the moment) and tried to start and nothing.

I am wondering if it is a fuel pressure issue or maybe a leaky injector, but am not really sure how to test these. I eventually ran the battery out so quit for the night but am going to give it another go tomorrow. Can some of you help out on what the issue might be. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Crshburndwilson; 12-03-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:21 AM
Super Moderator

I am not sure if brake cleaner will work like starting fluid, so try that.

Checking the spark with a spark tester can fool you into thinking you have adequate spark when you really have a weak spark. If you have a timing light, then check for the light flashing on each wire.

Are the maintenance items up to date like distributor cap, distributor rotor, and spark plugs?

Old 12-03-2010, 07:29 AM

Unfortunately I am not sure what the maintenance history is on the vechile (I know my fault), but looking at them i can tell they have not been changed recently. I was hoping not to have to go down that road of throwing parts at it for trial and error. I did however take the plugs out and clean them and did the same for the distrib. cap and rotor. I will go by the parts store today and pick up some starter fluid and give that a try. Does anyone know how I would go about checking the fuel pressure? I looked at the rail and didnt see anywhere I could connect a gauge or a pressure jet.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mostly we aren't in favor of throwing parts at it either, but plugs & distributor cap are kinda like normal maintenance things.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:47 PM

Understood, I am going to update these this wkend and will report back.