General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Honda Accord - Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 08:19 AM
Default 97 Honda Accord - Transmission problem

Hi

My 1997 Honda Accord 2.2L, started to have problems changing the gears. At the beginning it was running only on 2nd and 4th gear, and I got the code P0753.
I replaced the transmission fluid with Honda ATF and nothing changed.
Replaced the shift solenoid A with another one (used) and it was running fine (all for gears) for half of the day and after that had exactly the same symptoms.
Next day when I started the car and put it in D4, it remains stuck in the first gear, and it doesn’t change at all.
I can drive the car manually changing the gears (it running only on 1st, 2nd, and 4th gear).
Do you have any advice for me, what should I do next?

Thank you
Horia

Old 11-06-2013, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Since you changed the shift solenoid w/o fixing the problem, check for short/open in shift solenoid A wiring.

Release wiring at the solenoid connector and at the ECM under the dash. Use multimeter to check both wires to shift solenoid A for short or open.

As I read this code, it is a system fault; trans gear in operation does not match the gear commanded by TCM. This could be electrical but also could be hydraulic.

There was conflicting info on electrical vs hydraulic in the source I found P0753 Honda Shift Solenoid 'A' Circuit Fault OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com. If truly an electrical fault only, this means it's either faulty solenoid, connector, wiring, or possibly ECM fault. If you eliminate solenoid, connectors, and wiring, ECM fault is likely. It all hinges on whether this is an electrical or hydraulic fault.

good luck