General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 kills while driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 04:41 PM
steveleb
Unregistered
Default 97 kills while driving

I have a 1997 Accord LX with 160,000k. The car kills while driving. I thought is was the fuel pump, but I just changed it and it still has the same problem. Any suggestions on how to diagnose the problem?

Old 05-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: 97 kills while driving

Does it restart immediately after dying? Does the Check Engine Light come on immediately when the engine dies or does panel stay dark? Does engine run for a while before it dies again? Any sputtering or gradual loss of engine, or simply a sharp immediate stoppage?

To get help you need to describe the details.

good luck

Old 05-20-2007, 07:43 PM
steveleb
Unregistered

It starts up immediately after it kills,but it will sometimes kill just seconds after it starts again. This was the test drive after I installed the fuel pump he drove the car for 10 miles before it happned.Because it my sons car I can't till you if the engine light is on or off after it kills. It just kills no sputtering.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

First step w/ no-start or engine stoppage is fuel or spark.

It's easier to check for ignition by first checking for power to the ignition w/ a light rigged full time to show that power is available to the ignition. If light goes off w/ power stoppage, you know the keyswitch (not uncommon Honda problem) is the problem. Keyswitch contacts fail and a new keyswitch assy is fix.

If light stays on, then you can move on to check for spark when the engine will not start. Ignitor or coil could also cause an intermittent engine stoppage. Special tools are required to check for loss of spark w/ an engine stoppage. If light stays on w/ engine stoppage, check for spark to one of the spark plugs when stoppage occurs. If you have spark, then problem is likely to be fuel starvation.

Fuel starvation can result from no power to the fuel pump (main fuel relay is usually problem), failed fuel pump (yes I know it's new but infant deaths are not unusal either), or blocked fuel filter. Check first for power to the fuel pump,if OK check that fuel pump runs when keyswitch is turned to ON (should run for 3-5 secs and turn off), and if these are OK, check fuel pressure or replace fuel filter.

good luck