General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 accoord oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 01:18 PM
Post 98 accoord oil leak

i just finished a routine oil change but used a different oil filter this time around. I used a fram double guard filter instead of the regular high milage filter i've been using. there was no oil drips and eveything look okay and as soon as i turned on the engine and drove off, there was a big oil leak trial. I notice that the car was driving different and stopped and check, oil was dripping a constant stream. Drive it home and have it lift up so that i can check to see were the leak was coming from but it was dripping too fast that had to stop the engine(oil leaks only when engine is turned on). After wipeing everything, i tried to turn on the engine again to identify the leak but now the engine won't even turn over, it will not start. Please let me know where to start and any advice would be much appreciated.

98 honda accound exV6

Old 12-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Default 98 accoord oil leak

i forgot to mentioned that the oil is leaking from the backside of the engine. no oil spot to the drivers side but oil was all over the button back side of the engine toward the passanger side. i notice that the oil filter was kind of oily as well as the driveshaft.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Well, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, it's probably a duck, or in your case a leaking oil filter connection. Perhaps old gasket stuck to sealing face of oil filter bracket or faulty oil filter. Everthing points to oil filter leak.

Perhaps you got the wrong oil filter and it's not threaded correctly, or simply bad gasket.

Starter won't turn Engine over:
1) Check battery cables for secure connections w/o corrosion.
2) Check starter solenoid drive wire (small wire) for 12V w/ keyswitch to Start position.

good luck

Old 12-14-2010, 01:11 AM
Red face 98 accord oil leak

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Well, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, it's probably a duck, or in your case a leaking oil filter connection. Perhaps old gasket stuck to sealing face of oil filter bracket or faulty oil filter. Everthing points to oil filter leak.

Perhaps you got the wrong oil filter and it's not threaded correctly, or simply bad gasket.

Starter won't turn Engine over:
1) Check battery cables for secure connections w/o corrosion.
2) Check starter solenoid drive wire (small wire) for 12V w/ keyswitch to Start position.

good luck

OMG - i don't believe this happened, you are correct. i was such in a hurry to get the oil change done and gone with i missed the easiest steps. thank you.

now i have to take wait until tomorrow to test my starter to see if its still working and the wired you mention...i'll have an update...again, thank you...