General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Accord Electrical Woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 12:48 AM
Default 98 Accord Electrical Woes

First. I would like to say, that my car runs great (1998 Honda Accord V6 Coupe). The battery appears have plenty of voltage and has never had a problem starting. Voltmeter shows its a good battery.

Some recent history...

A little while back, I noticed my power locks acting funky. Couldnt lock with the drivers side, but could always lock both doors with passenger side.

Using the key fob, both doors will lock.

I never thought much of it and went on my way driving the car. Now a few months later, the drivers side door lock, drivers side window, and dome light all sporadically freak out in bursts.

The drivers side door lock actuator sounds like its clicking on and off repeatedly. The drivers side window motor creeps the window down a half an inch at a time repeatedly, and from time to time the dome light just randomly turns on, and then turns off.

Radio, lights, everything else appears to be working just fine. I have not noticed any driving related issues at all. It also appears that the passenger side is fine as well.

Do i have something computer/brain related failing here?

At any time I can use the drivers side window switch to put the window up or down. But the door lock switch does not seem to be working all the time.

There isn't an aftermarket alarm, and only the Honda OEM security alarm as far as I know.

Any thoughts would be great, as this is quite annoying.

Last edited by BigNiner19; 03-19-2015 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:36 AM

I know that that generation has had its issues with the interior drivers side fuse panel and multiplex unit acting up. For a while Honda was selling the fuse panels dirt cheap, what we call a guilty price. Random lighting/electrical issues was the symptoms. Not sure this applies in your case but it might be worth calling Honda for a price on the fuse panel and see if they are still cheap. Several years ago they were selling them for something like 40 dollars. Heck there is 40 dollars worth of copper and fuses in one of them...

Old 03-20-2015, 10:56 AM

So it could be a fuse panel issue or a multiplex issue? Right now. I cannot lock doors with drivers side switch, and cannot put passenger side window down with switch. But I can put drivers side window down. And ofcourse then there is what I was explaining above that happens usually a couple times a week where things just start acting crazy while I'm driving down the road.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

The issue is more likely with the driver's door multiplex control unit (mcu) instead of the driver's under-dash fuse box mcu. The car has the following:

• Driver's under-dash MCU
  • Passenger under-dash MCU
  • Driver's door MCU

There was a Honda TSB regarding the driver's door MCU in the 98 Accord.

Honda TSB 98-071

Old 03-20-2015, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
The issue is more likely with the driver's door multiplex control unit (mcu) instead of the driver's under-dash fuse box mcu. The car has the following:

• Driver's under-dash MCU
  • Passenger under-dash MCU
  • Driver's door MCU

There was a Honda TSB regarding the driver's door MCU in the 98 Accord.

Honda TSB 98-071

I believe you are right. The symptoms in that honda TSB are EXACTLY what i see happening. I also tried to wake up the multiplex via the windshield wiper method, to no affect.

I found a use master switch already. However, I'm having issues trying to remove the switch on my car. The videos and instructions dont seem to help for my specific car. The arm rest actually covers part of the master switch surround, but the armrest appears to be rivetted to the door panel and not removable. If I were to try and pop out that switch with the armrest there, it surely will break.

Any thoughts...here are pics of my 1998 2 door coupe accord

Name:  F80AF729-0AAF-47E9-A8C1-68A089A3CC72_zpslfo6cnd6.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  122.8 KB

Name:  C39F4F8A-5B5D-4ECE-97A3-3000F6ADAE76_zps3iorp8wp.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  187.3 KB

Thanks

Old 03-20-2015, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

The door switch is not actually covered by the armrest. The switch panel is held on with clips. Just gently pry it up a little at a time.