General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Accord AT woes

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Default 99 Accord AT woes

I'm hoping someone will diagnose my problem.

I have a 1999 Honda Accord EX, 4 cyl. 2.3 liter SOHC VTEC engine (the F23A1), the MAXA 4-speed automatic transmission, with 130k miles. The car was made in the Saitama factory in Japan.

A month ago the AT started shifting badly when cold. After a month it's still the same, though it takes longer for the AT to warm up, I think because of the cooler weather we've had in Houston.

When cold (i.e. standing about 6 hours), the car starts normally, and runs normally in reverse or 1st. Park and Neutral are fine. In 2, D3, or D4, though, when it tries to upshift it "goes into neutral," with no acceleration at all. If I drive around in 1st, by 2 miles all the gears are working well, though it may take another mile before it downshifts properly into 1st at a stop.

The D4 light has never blinked, or stayed on. The CheckEngine light has come on, when I've revved the engine too much when the AT was still slipping before it was warm. I've had to clear it (unplug fuse 13 for 10 sec) up to twice on a trip, but it has never come on when the AT was warm.

The AT fluid is brownish, not cherry red, but doesn't smell burnt. The level, if anything, is a little high. I should have changed the AT fluid by now, but haven't.

I have checked the "lockup control solenoid valve, " the "shift control solenoid Valve A," the "shift control solenoid valves B" and "C." They seem ok: right resistance, and click when powered. (These tests are from the Honda Accord '98-'99 manual.) I can't reach the others without removing the battery or the splash guard.

I'm about to drain/refill the AT fluid with Dextron III. I know Honda only recommends it as a temporary replacement, but web opinion is mixed. There's an $18/pint additive I can add if I can be convinced.

My questions:

0. What more can I do to narrow down the problem?

1. If the front of the car is on ramps, how much more AT can I drain (on a flat surface, Honda says 2.6 liters; the capacity is 6.1 liters, so several drain&fills have to be made to get it "all" out)?

2. If I also disconnect the AT cooler hoses, how much more AT can I get out?

3. What's the difference between Honda's ATF and Dextron III?

4. Is my AT doomed, or might changing the ATF work, or at least, Do No Harm?

Old 10-20-2009, 07:29 PM

Not sure about yours but that is what mine started doing right before it started acting funny all the time shifting in to 2nd and higher gears and downshifting back in to 1st when coming to a stop. I also had a roaring noise which I am told is the axle/diff bearings going out. That will also cause the axle seals to wear funny and fluid to leak a little past them. Honda warrantied my 2001 w/ 109K miles. However, it is doing it all over again 2 years later and 39K miles. I think I am going with a used one this time. I think it is just a crummy design (thank GM from what I have read about the maker) I have also not been able to get anyone to confirm that there have been any improvements on the remans that would warrant paying honda prices for another one. And if you don't pay for any of the repair (warranty) then the one they install is NOT covered under the Honda 3/36 warranty.

It isn't cheap but I would service it and see where that gets you before doing anything else.

Good luck.