General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 Accord EX V6 starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 12:33 AM
Drvr02RT
Unregistered
Default 98 Accord EX V6 starting problems

Heres the story, was driving to work one day, everything seemed fine but then the car just died. I still had battery power but the engine stalled and wouldnt restart. That was a few months ago ( have a backup car). Well the last couple days have been really nice here in MI so I figured I'd go take a look at the car. Ive confirmed that there is good spark, but no fuel at all. I didnt hear the fuel pump running at key-on position so I started to check voltages. First i checked the Main Relay under the dash, it was good. So i checked for voltage at the fuel pump connector, nothing, no volts at all. So ok, the fuel pump isnt getting power....check the fuses, both good, the fuel pump fuse and the ACG fuse under the hood. I;ve traced the fuel pump power wire all the way to the dash where the wiring gets really ugly on the drivers side, but honestly i didnt find any breaks in it. I'm all out of ideas, my father-in-law told me to just tap into another 12v power wire during key-on to get the fuel pump going again, but I'm not sure if that would be too good for the rest of the car. Anyone have any ideas? I hope its not something to hard to replace or expensive, as i plan to move to Chicago this summer for school next year...please help!

Old 04-09-2008, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 98 Accord EX V6 starting problems

When you test for 12V at the fuel pump connector, did you have someone turn the key to the II position for you. The fuel pump only get power for a couple of seconds (after the MFR clicks) to build pressure at the rail.

Do you hear the fuel pump turn on for two seconds when you turn the key to the II position?

Old 04-09-2008, 01:02 AM
Drvr02RT
Unregistered

Yes, i had someone turn the key for me. Nope, no sound at all from the fuel pump during the key-on.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

Ok, no power to the fuel pump, so that at least narrows down your problem.

Did you test for power at the proper terminal at the main fuel relay for those two seconds?

Old 04-09-2008, 08:33 AM
Drvr02RT
Unregistered

I tested the #5 terminal on the MFR, it had power. My father in law just informed me that the SRS light was on before it died, but it had been on for quite sometime, could this stop the fuel pump from getting power? Could anything in the ignition system stop teh fuel pump from getting power? I'm not use to working on cars with distributors, just coil packs (I-4 engines). BTW the car has 160k and he explained to me that the only maintenance hes really done to it was oil change, trans fluid change and 1 timing belt change.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

I just took a look at the manual for a 99 accord (downloaded it from spoon honda site in online manuals thread in DIY section).

The red/wht or red/blk wire that goes to terminal 5 is power from the ignition switch, so the ignition switch is ok. The relay might not be supplying power to wire #4. If you connect a jumper wire between # 4 and 5 (blk/yel and red/[wht or blk]) on the wire side of the MFR, and turn on the key to II position, does the fuel pump turn on?

When you pull the four pin connector at the fuel pump, are you checking for 12V between the blk/yel wire (pin number one) on the four pin fuel pump connector and a good body ground? A bad ground at the fuel pump could also cause problems. Make sure that the ground terminal (not sure of the wire color, but it should be obvious) has continuity with the ground bolt.