General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 V6 MFR what does it look like

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:26 PM
marrymemercedes
Unregistered
Default 98 V6 MFR what does it look like

Hey,
I have searched the forum for hours and have been under the dash of my GF's 98 V6 coupe for the majority of the day. I am trying to fix/replace (if needed) the main fuel relay. I believe I have found it because it makes the clicking noise when the key is turned to the auxillary position,and theinards of the realay also resemble an MFR but I am still unsure. The code on the case was a siemens VRM-0022. I don't know how to post pictures but I have pics of the relay and I could send them to anybodies e-mail if anybody thinks they can tell if it is the MFR. any help on this subject is greatly appreciated.

By the way, just to introduce myself, my name is Evan. I am a mercedes nut myself, Iown several and love to work on them. My GF loves her accord so I end up doing all the work to her and I am forever indebted to this site for all the knowledge I have gained so far. Anyways any help is apperciated!
Thanks,
Evan

Old 07-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 98 V6 MFR what does it look like

I can't post links for some odd reason. If you look at the top of this general tech help forum, click on temporary search and use the google search. Type in "PGM-FI Main Relay question" without the quotes and i have a link in that thread that shows the 98-02 MFR location at the bottom of the page.

Good Luck.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:34 PM
marrymemercedes
Unregistered

Hey, thanks for the quick reply PAhonda. If you are making reference to the illustration posted on the techauto.de link, I have already looked at it and yes, the relay I grabbed did come from that vicinity but that illustration is rather vague and I dont want to screw anything up since it is my GF's car andnot mine.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

If you click on the picture, it will pop up a new window with a clearer picture.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

I just googled VRM-0022, and that looks like it is the MFR. It should have 7 pins on it.

By the way, why do you think that the MFR is the problem?

Old 07-02-2008, 11:28 PM
marrymemercedes
Unregistered

Thanks a lot PAhonda, yourmaking my life much easier. I believe it is the MFR because the car occasionaly wont start when the interior temperature exceeds 40 degrees celcius. Most of the reaserch I have done has pointed to the MFRbeing the cause. I know there are some other potential culprets but this seemed like a good place to start and a somewhat easy DIY. Thanks again thoughfor yourhelp and I will post back when I know if the MFR is to blame.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

The MFR is a likely culprit.

You should try to get a good ear for the fuel pump turning on. It is a faint whirling/buzzing sound that comes from near the back seat, so make sure the radio is turned off. When you turn the key to the II position (normall running position, but don't start the car), you should hear the MFR click. The fuel pump will turn on for a couple of seconds in the middle of the clicks. You might want to listen at the fuel cap and have someone else turn on the key to listen for the sound. This has helped me tremendously when diagnosing problems on my honda and my friends cars as well.

If you do not hear the fuel pump kick on, then you know that it is either not getting power from the MFR or something is wrong with the fuel pump iteself.