General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 V6 won't start after timing belt change

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 01:31 PM
Default 98 V6 won't start after timing belt change

Ok, so i just changed the timing belt, tensioner actuator (that little hydraulic tensioning thing) both external belts, and water pump on my friends 98 accord v6, and now it will turn over, but won't start. I'm absolutely sure the markings i made on the belt matched up with the markings on the cams and crank (at least they did when i put the cover back on), but i'm almost worried that the crank turned exactly one rotation so that the marks lined up again.

I double checked all the connectors around the area that we might have unplugged and tried a different battery. there's a slim chance it might be flooded, so i'll try again this evening, but i don't think so. also, there's no sound of valves hitting cylinders.

So i guess my question is would a timing issue cause it to turn but not start, if so, how far off would it have to be, and what are the chances that the crank turned exactly once?

Thanks

Old 09-11-2012, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

have you double checked all the timing marks since you tried to start it? line up the crank mark and then check both front and rear cam marks through the cover inspection holes. if they're not lined up you might be barney'd.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:26 AM

Easy things first. Pull a plug and check for spark.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:28 AM

Easy things first.. yes.. check the work you just did.... did it jump timing? I always hand crank the engine 2 times before I button it back up and start it.

sounds like it slipped timing... check there first

Old 09-12-2012, 02:34 PM

update. the belt did slip by one notch, but our working theory is that since we accidentally took the auto tensioner off before we marked the belt (we thought the bolts were for the cover) the belt slipped before we even marked it, so we're bringing everything to tdc then put the belt back on. you guys think that'll work? so long as everything lines up with the tdc marks, it should, right? how close does the crank have to be to tdc? the problem is that the arrow that tells you where it is is on the timing belt cover, so we just have to make our best guess and check when we get it back on.

thanks for your responses.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

close doesn't count line up the crank and then take the covers off, then you'll have to remove the belt and line up the camshafts.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:27 AM

new update, the car runs fine. as it turns out guessing wasn't necessary. i knew that'd be trouble, but there's a mark for tdc on the crank gear that lines up with an arrow on the block. we took the belt off, reset the tensioner (explained here, very handy to know. 2000 honda accord: the automatic timing belt tensioner - JustAnswer) lined everything up to tdc, and turned the belt several times by hand to even out slack on the belt and make sure everything was lined up, and it started just fine. we were only off by a few notches, but it was enough.

thank you guys for your help.