General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Accord EX taking a little longer to turn over

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Default 99 Accord EX taking a little longer to turn over

Hello everyone,
I have noticed in the last 2-3 weeks that the infamous Honda "starting sequence sound" the cha cha vroom is taking a little longer like maybe 3 or 4 before the car turns on. It is sporadic, sometimes it starts as it should and sometimes it takes a little longer. No particular time of day or amount of usage makes a difference. It may do it first thing in the morning or after the car is warm. Any ideas what might be wrong? I had the starter replaced about 7 months ago. Any input is appreciated as always.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:05 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by ghostpilot
I had the starter replaced about 7 months ago. .
was it an AutoZone or Oreilly unit?
If so they're supposed to have good replacement warranties because they are needed.

I choose to use NAPA or Honda parts.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:15 AM

UhOh

I had the starter replaced at a neighborhood mechanic shop. I am not sure where they get their parts from but if you feel the starter is going bad I am fairly certain that it is still under some type of warranty. Thanks for your input.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Tune up items (spark plugs/distributor cap/spark plug wires) in good shape? Sounds like it's turning over (cranking) just fine so the starter and alternator are probably OK too.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

A weak starter or weak battery would give a slower cranking sound. But if the cranking is the normal speed & it takes more cranks before it fires up, that's something else.

Try this... Turn the key to ON but don't immediately turn it to START. Listen for the fuel pump to run for 2 seconds then stop. It's a faint whirring sound in the fuel tank.

Try to get the habit of waiting about 1 second before turning the key to START. That lets the fuel pressure build up before you crank the starter. Let us know if that makes any difference.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:36 PM

^^^^ the above is correct. I always wait till my fuel pump stops running before I crank my car. I learned years ago that if you don't let it run before cranking it you can burn a fuel pump slap up!

Old 12-04-2012, 08:43 PM

Hello everyone,

I have taken Jim Blakes advice and so far it has only done it once since I posted this thread. I am going to have to get closer to where the fuel pump is and have someone turn the ignition to the "ON" position because from inside the cab I cannot hear the whirl sound of the pump. I am going to replace the spark plugs and see what happens. Thanks for everyone's input.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:20 AM

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to report back and let everyone know that I the problem seems to have subsided. The only thing I did was change the spark plugs ( which weren't that bad ) and so far the car has been fine. I also upon closer inspection could hear the fuel pump working so for now the car is running great. Thank you to all and happy holidays to everyone.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Good to hear.....thanks for the update.