General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Accord EX V6 (AT) Code P0705 - New Neutral Safety Switch didn't help

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 01:46 AM
Exclamation 99 Accord EX V6 (AT) Code P0705 - New Neutral Safety Switch didn't help

Please Help! I've checked other posts but they don't address my issue.

I just installed a new Transmission Range Sensor/Neutral Safety Switch (Interstate) based on troublesome shifting and an engine code of P0705.
Worked great for one day, and now my troubles have returned.

What am I missing? Did I do something wrong on the install?

Original symptoms:
A month ago, Accord started having hard shifts. Checked transmission fluid levels – okay w/ color a light red-brown.
Shifting gradually got worse. Noticed that outside temps affected the symptoms. Below 60 degrees, the hard shifts were minor until at least 20 miles of driving.Once outside temp hit 70 degrees, shifting deteriorated within 1/2 mile, with slipping & lurching through all gears. I could minimize the lurches a bit if I eased up on the gas when shift was happening. Rough shifts (3rd to 4th) vs. full on slipping (1st to 2nd).

Initial Check engine codes:
(1) P0705 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction
(2) P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction

New code 4 days later:
(3) P0740 transmission torque converter clutch circuit malfunction

What I’ve checked/done so far:
  • Disconnected battery cables to clear the codes. (only code P0705 came back)
  • Changed the ATF last week (w/ Honda DW-1)- this helped (for a week).
  • Yesterday I installed a new Transmission Range Sensor/Neutral Safety Switch (Interstate) . Adjusted position until reverse back-up lights came on and all transmission codes lit up on dash when moved the shifter through the gears. Drove the car during the evening (cool weather) - no issues.

What’s happening now:
Shifting is worse than ever - especially when starting. I’m literally creeping forward until the gears engage with a heavy clunk/lurch. Have found it’s best/safest to start from D1 & work through the gears vs. leaving it in full automatic (D4).

Is there anything else I can try or is the transmission done?

Old 10-29-2016, 11:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by justonestep
Please Help! I've checked other posts but they don't address my issue.

I just installed a new Transmission Range Sensor/Neutral Safety Switch (Interstate) based on troublesome shifting and an engine code of P0705.
Worked great for one day, and now my troubles have returned.

What am I missing? Did I do something wrong on the install?

Original symptoms:
A month ago, Accord started having hard shifts. Checked transmission fluid levels – okay w/ color a light red-brown.
Shifting gradually got worse. Noticed that outside temps affected the symptoms. Below 60 degrees, the hard shifts were minor until at least 20 miles of driving.Once outside temp hit 70 degrees, shifting deteriorated within 1/2 mile, with slipping & lurching through all gears. I could minimize the lurches a bit if I eased up on the gas when shift was happening. Rough shifts (3rd to 4th) vs. full on slipping (1st to 2nd).

Initial Check engine codes:
(1) P0705 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction
(2) P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction

New code 4 days later:
(3) P0740 transmission torque converter clutch circuit malfunction

What I’ve checked/done so far:
  • Disconnected battery cables to clear the codes. (only code P0705 came back)
  • Changed the ATF last week (w/ Honda DW-1)- this helped (for a week).
  • Yesterday I installed a new Transmission Range Sensor/Neutral Safety Switch (Interstate) . Adjusted position until reverse back-up lights came on and all transmission codes lit up on dash when moved the shifter through the gears. Drove the car during the evening (cool weather) - no issues.
What’s happening now:
Shifting is worse than ever - especially when starting. I’m literally creeping forward until the gears engage with a heavy clunk/lurch. Have found it’s best/safest to start from D1 & work through the gears vs. leaving it in full automatic (D4).

Is there anything else I can try or is the transmission done?
I'd probably pull the solenoids (a usual problem with these transmissions from what I've read on here), and clean them both.You'd have to get someone else to post up a pic of what you'd be looking for though. If cleaning out the solenoids doesn't help, then I'd start looking for a trans.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:08 PM

Just went to remove the dual linear solenoid and got as far as loosening 2 bolts and realized I'd need a offset extension. Before even trying to disconnect the wiring, I could see the black connector was damaged, so I'm guessing this is the culprit. It's loose and clearly not attached to the solenoid like the tan one is. Can't imagine how it was damaged since it's pretty well protected by the battery plate.
Anyhow, now the D4 light is flashing - so clearly I need to get the part ordered.
Can anybody direct me to a link that shows how to remove this solenoid? There are 2 hoses that will need to be removed and I'd prefer to have something to look at before I attempt this.
Thanks!