General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

About Motor Mounts

Old 05-11-2006, 04:34 PM
Default About Motor Mounts

I have a sneaking suspicion that my 96 EX Coupe is in need of some motor mounts. I get a lot of vibration from the engine at idle and the car shifts pretty hard... the jolt from each shift (a lot of the time) carries through the entire car. I'm wondering if the motor mount kits I see on Ebay are any good or if I should steer clear of them.

Thanks!

Old 05-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Administrator
Default RE: About Motor Mounts,,,Yes!

Tell you what NixAlot
Save your self alot of aggrevation and hop in your car and off you go to AutoZone and get them Cheaper, Quicker and they will also be Correctly able to fit your car the FIRST time...and they come with a LIFETIME warranty to boot..

WheelbrokerAng...e-bay is mostly a waste of time on items like this and they have a bad time at getting you the right parts at the right time...[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 05-11-2006, 06:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: About Motor Mounts

i will tell you my experience with non honda motor mount,, it has happened to me on 3 different years cars, 88 acc A/t , 92 acc A/t , and 91 acc A/t ,, the owners wanted to save a few bucks so we installed non -factory rear mount, well the vibration altough better was still there , you could still feel the steering wheel shaking at idle and much worse in D with foot on the brake like you are stopped at a traffic lite....We installed Honda mounts and there was no more vibration,,..

have you comprared prices to see how much you will be saving by putting non-honda mounts on ??

Old 05-11-2006, 07:35 PM

I haven't compared the price of the Honda brand to any auto parts store, but I do know that the rear mount alone from Honda is just under $300. And since I have no way of supporting the engine or getting the car in the air I would have to pay somebody else to do the installation... which would be expensive too. I can't see being able replace all of the mounts for less than $600 or $700 which I just don't have right now. I guess I'll just have to live with the vibration and the jerky shifts. I also have a rattle between 1800 to 2000 RPM that sounds like bolts in an aluminum pan that I can't get rid of. I've already replaced the muffler and resonator, taken every heat shield off the exhaust system, and tapped on the converter... but to no avail I haven't been able to isolate the source of the noise. The exhaust shop's best guess was a hairline crack in the manifold (because the noise decreases after it gets hot), but even they couldn't definitively pinpoint it. I was hoping maybe the rattle was related to the mounts in some way too... but who knows... I guess these are just things I'll have to live with.

thanks

Old 05-11-2006, 07:49 PM

call an auto parts store and get quotes on the mounts... I know you can get them for less... then go to a pawn shop and pickup a cheap (like $25.00) tool kit and a jack and jack stands if they have them... if not get those from an auto parts store... we're now talking like $75.00 for all the stuff you need to do the job (and you get to keep it!) plus a much smaller fee for the motor mounts... jack the car up, put it on jackstands (or just use your spare tire jack and skip buying one!) put the jack right near the motor mount you are going to remove (do not jack up the oil pan...) and swap it out... I bet you can get everything and do the whole job for under $225.00 easy... including the jackstands, parts and tools.... here is a link for some motor mounts online (never ordered from them so I couldn't vouch for em)

http://replacement.carjunky.com/part...ry=All&dp=null

Old 05-11-2006, 08:01 PM

Well,
I already have a jack, and I can get some jackstands, but I was thinking I needed to be able to get the car up in the air. I've never done anything like this before and it scares me to death to think about getting one of those mounts loose and the engine dropping to where I can't get the new one hooked back up.

Old 05-11-2006, 08:22 PM

once you get the car jacked up and on jack stands you're going to be fine... just be sure that you raise the jack up to where it's starting to support the engine (just barley) and then remove the mount... it's actually fairly simple... To start with I'd look at/visually inspect your motor mounts and see if perhaps it's just one that is doing it (one bad mount will give you these issues...)...

Old 05-12-2006, 12:17 PM

Is there one in particular that is known for going bad and causing problems? If so I could start by inspecting it. What exactly should I look for when inspecting it? I know the rear one has some sort of vacuum line hooked up to it doesn't it?

Old 05-12-2006, 04:45 PM

there shouldn't be a vacuum hose to any of them that I know of.... the one I would check first is the front right on the transmission... That one went out on my friends prelude and caused similar issues to what you have going on... Make sure that the rubber isn't broken/severly dried out and that the metal isn't cracked or broken at all... you can try pushing on the engine around the mount to see if it moves excessivly...

Old 05-16-2006, 05:22 PM

I was looking at the service manual for my car earlier this morning and there indeed is a vacuum line that runs from the motor mount solenoid to the diaphragm on the rear mount. The diaphragm is attached to a valve lever on the rear mount that when idling opens the valve 80 degrees and allows fluid to flow between two chambers thus further dampening engine noise and vibration. The way mine rattles and vibrates something HAS to be awry in this system... [:'(]