General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 12:20 AM
Default ABS Issue

So the abs light came on and I have been searching for the two wire connector to jump and read the codes. Is this connector hidden behind the plastic kick panel in the front passenger side? I have found a connector that has an orange plug to it but I believe that is for the airbags and there is more than two wires.
Also, I believe the light was triggered by the abs resevoir being low. I have filled the resevoir but the light remains. I don't have the $1000 to replace the unit so I would just like to replace the seals/gaskets. The good news is that it must be a very slow leak because there isn't a puddle or drips anywhere or I just need to expand my search. What parts are needed to rebuild abs modulator?

Old 11-19-2006, 10:42 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: ABS Issue

The service check connector should be below the glove box.

Old 11-19-2006, 05:42 PM

So the abs connector only has two wires going into, right? The orange plug that I found under the glove box has more than two wires, do I need to jump certain pins in this connector or is it totally different connector that I need to find?

Old 11-19-2006, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Should be a BLUE 2 pin connector

Old 11-19-2006, 06:02 PM

Thanks to you both! Time to go digging as I have not seen any blue connectors in plain sight. Is the connector clipped into/onto anything that could narrow my search any? Like firewall, blower motor, etc.?
For those reading this, if you have an abs issue: the haynes manual is worthless.

Old 11-20-2006, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Slusher

So the abs connector only has two wires going into, right? The orange plug that I found under the glove box has more than two wires, do I need to jump certain pins in this connector or is it totally different connector that I need to find?
Are you thinking it's a separate connector for ABS codes? It isn't. It's the SAME ONE that you jumper for ECU codes. So if you have both CEL and ABS errors, you'll be watching all kinds of flashing lights at the same time.

Old 11-20-2006, 06:28 PM

Thanks for all the replies! Yeah, I thought it was a separate connector for the abs codes. I do not have a cel. Which pins in this connector do I need to jump to get the abs codes? Thanks again.

Old 11-21-2006, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator

If you have the right connector, there's only 2 pins.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:19 PM

Thanks for the replies, I think I FINALLY got it!! But has anyone rebuilt their abs resevoir or resealed it? What parts do I need to pick up? Is bleeding the abs system different than the usual brake bleading? Again, thanks for all the help and patience.

Old 11-27-2006, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

I remember reading something about re-sealing some leaky plugs on the ABS modulator. But I can't remember whether it was here vs. some other sites (honda-tech.com or honda-acura.net)

Bleeding your ABS:
1 - First bleed the main brakes just like normal. I'm not sure about the bleeding order, that can vary with model & year.
2 - There's a bleed screw near the ABS reservoir. Find a hose that fits tight & drop it in a jar.
3 - Start the engine & run long enough for the ABS pump to run & stop.
4 - Open the bleed screw carefully & don't lose control of the hose. There's enough pressure to cut thru your skin if the hose pops off. Close it as soon as it stops flowing.
5 - Repeat # 3 & 4 until the reservoir is empty.
----------
6 - Refill the ABS reservoir.
7 - Repeat # 3 & 4 but keep the reservoir filled; do this until you don't get any air bubbles.

(If you know the ABS fluid is fresh, you don't have to drain the reservoir.)

This goes for Honda's earlier ABS system which has its own reservoir & bleed screw. Beginning about '97 or '98 they switched to a new system without a separate reservoir. The new system bleeds thru when you bleed the main brakes - no need to do ABS separately.