General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

accord 99 4 cyl A/C problems help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 04:54 PM
Default accord 99 4 cyl A/C problems help please

hi guys , i own an accord 99 4 cyls coupe , the a/c had been working good for some time since i own it, ( 3 months ) last week the a/c stopped working , it would turn on and off like if you were pulling out the plug, i checked the plug which powers it, its good and tight, it has power, i then heard the relays ( the noise they make when they touch the metal inside ) constantly that sound... so i was cheking it again today , and noticed 2 small pin holes on the dryer as if someone made those holes with a tester, so connected my tester to negative on battery, and poked those cables, noticed that the AC would come on , as if that cable was the ground.. but if i run a wire from negative to that cable the ac and both fans will always be on, even with the AC being OFF at the temperature panel.... so i really need some advice on this, if i leave out that cable, the ac will do the same go on and off randomly and you even see both fans doing the same thing as the compressor... IF the AC is off, both fans will work good as intented, but if i turn on the AC both fans go on and off...im thinking a bad ground somewhere but havent found it yet... so can someone help me with some schematics or ideas or anything ... i double checked the gas r134a levels and they were good. no leaks up till now detected... im running out of ideas and a little desperate its really hot in puerto rico this time of the year

edit: btw the cable of the dryer is the blue with a red line, and 2 gray dots a little separated

Last edited by nonaxanon; 03-26-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

What were the readings on the High and Low side when the compressor was running? Just me but my first thought is that the system is low, so where is the leak?

Old 03-26-2014, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

When system has low level of refrigerant (low pressure), a hi/lo pressure switch on high side of system will open and disable the compressor. This protects the compressor from operating w/o lubricant which is carried by the refrigerant.

If you add 1/2-1 can of R134a and system begins to cool, the problem is a slow leak losing refrigerant and lubricant. I would add at least 1 oz of lubricant to system also.

Leaks under the hood can usually be spotted by looking for oil/dirt buildup at leak site; hose crimps, connections, condensor face, compressor shaft seal(oily/dirty ring around clutch plane).

Repair leak for a permanent fix.

good luck