General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Headlight issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 05:15 PM
Default Another Headlight issue

I have a 97 accord ex with a couple of issues.
First and most immediate, both my headlights are out. this includes both high and low beams. I have replaced the lighting relay, both fuses and the combination switch all with no luck. I have power at the fuses (19 and 20). running out of ideas at this point and as far as i can tell in the diagrams i have seen my only options at this point are the dimmer relay or its a wiring issue somewhere. But i don't see much in the way of bottlenecks that would effect both right and left headlights simultaneously with power getting to the fuses.

secondly my battery light turns on and off while driving. needed a new battery which i replaced but the light continues to turn on and off. this only happens while driving and i can not get it to replicate while the car is parked. i do have a slightly loose belt but its occasional squeals do not always coincide with the light coming on. also, when the light comes on the car feels like it has slowed down a bit and all my lights (headlight included before they died) get much brighter.

Hope you guys can help me out here.

Thank you all.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

The battery light will come on if you have a problem with the alternator.

With the belt slipping, you may want to inspect the crank pulley. There is a rubber piece in the middle that can become separated from the metal. Then the pulley would not drive the belt. You can mark a line from the center of the pulley to the edge. Drive the car a bit and see if the line is still straight.

Let me look at the wiring diagram for your headlights and give you some tests to try.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Something isn't quite right here. Test the voltage on your battery to make sure your volt meter is working properly.

I would unplug the low beam electrical connector. The red/yel (driver's side) or the red/grn (passenger side) wire should have 12V to ground (Use a valve cover bolt as the ground). Also test the voltage between the two wires on each plug as an additional test.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

If high beam and low beam on both sides doesn't work, I would normally suspect the headlight relay. Was the headlight relay that was replaced new? The relay can be tested.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

Examine the wiring and connections at the under-hood fuse box. It may be due to corrosion, etc. at the fuse box.