General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another idle problem no answer yet

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 10:38 PM
Default RE: Another idle problem no answer yet

Went to Auto-Zone last night but they said they were not allowed outside in the dark. Went there today and received a P0108 code and a P0505 code. I am going to run tests on the MAP sensor and see what happens. Bad thing is that this car ran great and only needed brakes until I cleaned the throttle body. Auto Zone instructions so to unplug and check with key on. I have 5 volts. (car was off key on) Where is the IAC?? Is that the blue plug on the back side of my carb. that is held in by rivets??

Old 12-30-2007, 10:39 PM

Hondatech I will be doing that in the am. Right now I need just a little rest.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:03 AM

Unplugged the MAP sensor and checked it with meter. Car was not running but key was on. Red/white to Green/white was 5 volts. Auto Zone says that was good. The picture they gave me of the IAC is bad and I am not sure where that is. I listed the above codes in my earlier posts.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:15 PM

Well I tried everything that everyone has mentioned but to no avail. The DIY was for a older year, and it seems my sisters car did not fit into that catogory at all. I went to the Honda dealership as they were the only ones open that had the $193.57 IAC in stock and she needs her car back today, and I installed it and you guessed it no change. There was $200 out the window as electrical parts are non-returnable. So Wednesday its off to the garage.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:45 PM

ORIGINAL: husky100

Went to Auto-Zone last night but they said they were not allowed outside in the dark. Went there today and received a P0108 code and a P0505 code. I am going to run tests on the MAP sensor and see what happens. Bad thing is that this car ran great and only needed brakes until I cleaned the throttle body. Auto Zone instructions so to unplug and check with key on. I have 5 volts. (car was off key on) Where is the IAC?? Is that the blue plug on the back side of my carb. that is held in by rivets??
P0108 3 MAP Circuit High Input
P0505 14 ICS Malfunction
Based on what HondatechAV6 said and those codes I believe it's possible you have to much power going to the MAP sensor as a result of some igntion component.... I can't for the life of me remember exactly what ICS is referring to but someone should tell you shortly... I wish I was more help but I'm not real good on the newer stuff (not good on the older stuff either but...)

Old 12-31-2007, 05:56 PM

Pull that throttle body off and clean it again. Make sure all the small holes/passages are clean (spray the cleaner through them and make sure it comes out somewhere). If you can, use some compressed air and try to get it completely dry before putting it back on. Make sure you didn't lose the o-ring for the MAP sensor (I've done it). When you put the throttle body back on make sure to vent the cooling system.

From what you describe it sounds like the ECU is compensating for something and the IAC is working fine, since unplugging the MAP smoothed it out you probably have a vacuum leak. I would doubt that it's missing, but you may want to make sure you didn't get any water in the spark plug tubes; while you're at it apply some dielectric grease on the plugs/wires if you didn't already. Re-read the FAQ and don't replace any more parts until you are reasonably sure they are bad.

Good luck!

Edit: I'd ignore the codes, they are most likely a result of unplugging the MAP.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:30 PM

the 5v reference is correct.

actually, you need to back to probe with the connector still connected for those numbers i posted.

i'm going out though, so i'll doooooo some research later and post what i come up with.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:58 PM

When it gets daylight I will try another good thorough cleaning. Other then the MAP Sensor what other small holes should I look at in regaurds to being clogged?? I also used compressed air to blow the throttle body out.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:49 PM

I pulled the throttle body off again. Man I have about $20 in new gaskets, anyhow I cleaned every nook and cranny I could find but I only found holes that went to big brass screw and for the MAP SENSOR. Could not locate anything else. But I cleaned those areas again but did not see anything other then my clean lint free cloth. I will be putting everything back together in just a few minutes to see if there is any change. I will also test run and check for leaks using carb. cleaner.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:03 PM

Cars been in the shop for over a day now. Still no word.