General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another won't start thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 09:48 PM
Default Another won't start thread

Got my 20 year old a '94 Accord SOC. I have been going through it checking it out before he heads back to college. The other day I was driving and lost ALL power. I found the ground wire had broken off at the block. I stripped it back and attached it to a bolt and got power back but.....not starting. I have spark, ohm-ed the ignition coil, injectors(had 3.1 ohm, but it was 100 deg today and temp does change the reading), plug wires, checked fuel pressure, checked all the fuses. I'm at a loss now...I do have spark (pulled a plug and grounded it)

This is the first Honda I have worked on and I don't know what everything is and looks like...do have the Chilton though. If it were a Ford 4.0 I wouldn't be lost!

Please shoot me some ideas of what to look at.....thanks, Nate

Attached Images  
Old 07-28-2013, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

The common DIY thread on top of the gen tech help forum has a few links that will help.

1. Ope the online manuals link. The hondatech link has a pdf of a 94 shop manual that you can download. That has way more information than the chilton manual.

2. Open the link on checking engine codes. Post any codes you find on here.

3. Try hooking up a timing light to one of the spark plug wires. Have an assistant try to start the car. See if enough spark is generated to flash the timing light.

4. Turn the key to the II position, but do not try to start the car. When the check engine light turns on for the two second bulb check, the fuel pump should turn on. The pump makes a faint whirling/buzzing sound from the back seat, so turn off the radio, blower, etc... and listen carefully.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:34 AM

I did check fuel pressure, I couldn't hear the pump, it had 40ish psi. I also pulled a fuel line loose and had fuel pressure when the key turned on...so, it is priming. When I crank on it for a extended time...the plugs don't seem wet though....Also, forgot to mention, I hit it with starter fluid and never got anything.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:36 AM

Can these motors jump time? The time belt was changed before I got it and it ran up to the point the ground broke.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

To me I would say it has to be the ground. Since everything was working fine up until the ground broke it seems odds that the timing would happen to jump at the same exact time.

I'd take the ground off, sand it up a little more, and see if you can get a better connection.