General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any commonly neglected things on 5spd cars I need to know about?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 07:20 AM
Default Any commonly neglected things on 5spd cars I need to know about?

Since I have always driven autos, before, I don't know if I need to worry about all the extra stuff... Do I need to change clutch fluid or whatever it is, sometimes?

I read somewhere that these have a hydraulic clutch, which would lead me to believe that it has to of course have fluid in it... But I really don't think it'd matter to the life of the clutch if I changed it, would it? Would it make the clutch smoother, maybe?

What exactly is a slave cylinder, do I need to change fluid in that?

Also, is it necessary to use honda psf? Really?

What is the extra reservoir on the passenger side that says "ABS" for? Is that for the ABS pump? I'm not real familiar with ABS brakes, either..

Is there anything I'm missing? I know to do things like plugs, wires, filters, etc.. Going to change the tranny fluid, too, if I ever get around to it...

Thanks!!

Old 07-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Both clutch, brakes are separate systems and brake fluid can/should be replaced.

ABS is linked to the brake system, but brake fluid in ABS doesn't get replaced when brake system fluid is replaced. I've never replaced brake fluid in my ABS systems, and haven't noticed it getting dark. It must not mix w/ the system brake fluid which does darken w/ age/moisture/corrosion of brake lines.

I have recently switched to a vacuum hand pump for bleeding/flushing brake systems. It works nicely to void the reservoir and bleed the old fluid out. Clutch system works same as brakes w/ single bleeder on clutch slave cylinder bled to remove old fluid (not very much maybe 1 oz).

good luck

Old 07-24-2013, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Both clutch, brakes are separate systems and brake fluid can/should be replaced.

ABS is linked to the brake system, but brake fluid in ABS doesn't get replaced when brake system fluid is replaced. I've never replaced brake fluid in my ABS systems, and haven't noticed it getting dark. It must not mix w/ the system brake fluid which does darken w/ age/moisture/corrosion of brake lines.

I have recently switched to a vacuum hand pump for bleeding/flushing brake systems. It works nicely to void the reservoir and bleed the old fluid out. Clutch system works same as brakes w/ single bleeder on clutch slave cylinder bled to remove old fluid (not very much maybe 1 oz).

good luck

Oh I was pretty sure that the brakes and clutch systems were separate I was thinking that there was a "slave cylinder" for the clutch... is that wrong? Is the "slave cylinder" part of the braking system?

It's interesting that the abs fluid doesn't mix with the rest of the brake fluid- it does seem to be connected-- could that be because the ABS is so infrequently used???

In my recent braking problems, I am baffled as to why the ABS light came on... after I already had the issue for a long time... https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...m-issue-55898/ probably has nothing to do with it, eh?

Old 07-24-2013, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Slave cylinder is equivalent of brake caliper, and actuates the clutch arm to release the clutch. It's easy to see on the front of engine compartment on pax side.

See DIY forum for guidance on extracting OBD1 codes. ABS codes are same, but different flash code. All short flashes, so 4-1 = ffff-short pause-f. Long pauses between additional codes or same code repeat.

good luck

Old 07-24-2013, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Slave cylinder is equivalent of brake caliper, and actuates the clutch arm to release the clutch. It's easy to see on the front of engine compartment on pax side.

See DIY forum for guidance on extracting OBD1 codes. ABS codes are same, but different flash code. All short flashes, so 4-1 = ffff-short pause-f. Long pauses between additional codes or same code repeat.

good luck

Ah, I see! I can't believe this car has OBDI Isn't that a lot worse than OBDII? I've had cars older that had OBDII!!! Sigh! Well, I guess I will need to learn how OBDI works! I love reading anyway, so it'll give me something to do

Old 07-24-2013, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Is this for a 93 accord as your user name? What older cars did you own that had obd2?

obd2 was required in all cars sold in the us starting in 96. OBD1 was different for each brand of car, so your other obd2 cars may not have been standard either.

The main difference between obd2 and obd1 on accords is that the error codes are a bit more specific for obd2.

Last edited by PAhonda; 09-14-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Is this for a 93 accord as your user name? What older cars did you own that had obd2?

obd2 was required in all cars sold in the us starting in 96. OBD1 was different for each brand of car, so your other obd2 cars may not have been standard either.

The main difference between obd2 and obd1 on accords is that the error codes are a bit more specific for obd1.

Wow, you're right, they were OBDI .... I could have sworn they were OBDII!!

Yes it's the 93 accord

Old 07-25-2013, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Looks like this question wasn't answered?
Clutch slave cylinder is bolted to the outside of the engine, close to the transmission bellhousing. About mid-elevation, between the engine & the radiator. It "pushes" the throw-out lever and you can see that stuff move if someone sits in the car & pumps the clutch pedal.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:01 PM

The S light is flushing on my honda accord SB3, what should i do?

Old 09-14-2013, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

Start your own thread. Tell us the year, etc.. in the new thread.

Posting on an existing thread makes it confusing for someone trying to find the solution to the original problem.