General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I know nothing about cars please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 06:13 PM
JessicaS
Unregistered
Default I know nothing about cars please help

I need help. I have a 1988Honda accord. When i first start it up it runs alright but after driving it for a bit if i dont keep my foot on the gas or a constant idle it dies out on me. Any suggestions?

Old 03-04-2007, 06:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: I know nothing about cars please help

is it carb or injected ??

Old 03-05-2007, 02:10 AM
JessicaS
Unregistered

Carb

Old 03-05-2007, 09:06 PM

sounds like it may just be that you need to adjust the warm idle setting.... if the car is warmed up will it idle at all or does it always die? if it always dies then chances are it's just a screw adjustment....

Old 03-06-2007, 01:55 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

First off make sure base idle is at 750-800 rpm.. if ok.. you need to chk for possible vacc leaks,, ( pcv valve )very common,, if no vacc leaks, then you need to chk if the idle solenoid is working properly , it is located on the back of the carb you need to remove the air cleaner assembly .. remove the 8 mm screw , remove the solenoid ( careful not to lose the litle o-ring ) ,, turn the key on, ground the solenoid ( on the carb ) and see if the little plunger retracts,, if it does solenoid is ok, if it does not chk to see if there is power at the solenoid wire .. ,if there is you got a bad solenoid ,, then with solenoid off, get some carb cleaner and blow the idle passage. it would help a lot if you have compressed air to also blow in the carb passage ,, out all together and see if it help..

try this and let us know ..