General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Trans Issue(?)--97 Accord LX

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 09:29 AM
Default Auto Trans Issue(?)--97 Accord LX

I have a 97 Accord LX (automatic) with 217k miles. In the last half year, I've replaced the spark plugs (and seals), valve cover gasket, and O2 sensor. Otherwise, it's had no work.

In the past couple of months, I've noticed a problem that seems to be getting worse. The car runs fine when it's in the middle of the gear range, but when the transmission is ready to change gears as I accelerate, it sometimes delays and briefly revs very high (spikes beyond 4000 rpms) before lurching into the next gear. It's almost like the car is in neutral for a second between gears and acts like I'm just revving the engine. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's happening more frequently as time goes by.

I've checked the transmission fluid, which is reddish-brown (not dark brown or black) and full.

Any ideas? Would it be worth changing the transmission fluid? With the car's age and miles, I'm not willing to put a huge investment into it. Though I'm not anticipating an inexpensive fix, I'd be happy to know if there might be one or two not-super-expensive things I could try. Otherwise, I'll plan on running her until she doesn't run anymore. Many thanks.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:16 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

It would be worth changing the fluid, IMHO. Hondas are picky about fluid. I use Valvoline MaxLife but others swear by genuine Honda ATF. You may want to check the throttle control cable adjustment. The FSM has illustrated instructions. Adjust it just to remove any play; no tighter. Also, it's easy to remove the shift solenoids to check if the screens are dirty.

5th Gen auto transmissions are cheap and plentiful at scrapyards and Craig's List.

Last edited by Roader; 05-16-2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Shift solenoids
Old 05-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Is Check Engine Light on or D4 light flashing at any time?

good luck

Old 05-16-2013, 12:40 PM

Thanks for the replies. The D4 isn't flashing (though I'll pay more attention now in case I just overlooked it) and the check engine light hasn't come on.

Roader--thanks for the suggestions. I'll replace the transmission fluid because that's long overdue anyhow. If that doesn't resolve the problem, it looks like there will be a lot of opportunities to spend quality time with my car.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by TornCalfGuy
If that doesn't resolve the problem, it looks like there will be a lot of opportunities to spend quality time with my car.
An afternoon, maybe, to do that stuff. In addition to the online manuals that you can find in the DIY sticky, this page is a good guide to maintaining/troubleshooting the Gen 4/5 trans:

techauto(dot)awardspace(dot)com/transmission.html

Note that '96 - '97 cars don't have separate TCUs and rarely have problems with electronic control of the trans.

I've had good luck removing/cleaning/re-installing the solenoid screens/gaskets w/o leaks. New ones are kinda' pricey even at the online parts dealers.

If these steps resolve the problem, plan on three drain & fills to get all of the old trans fluid out of there.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:21 PM
Default Seemed to stay in 3rd this afternoon

Right at the end of a 30-minute trip home tonight, the car was at its worst yet. It seemed to stay in 3rd gear, without power beyond that gear, and simply revved higher when I pressed on the accelerator. The car just kept revving up around 4000-4500 but wouldn't change gears or increase power/speed. Thankfully, the speed limit is low where I was driving so I wasn't driving abnormally slowly compared to traffic.

Maybe I jinxed things by trying to fix them. Just kidding; I'm obviously here because I could tell things had started deteriorating. I'll have to try to do some of these possible fixes this weekend and keep my fingers crossed.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:06 PM
Old 01-03-2014, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Is Check Engine Light on or D4 light flashing at any time?

good luck
I'm having the same problem with the same year and model, except my Check Engine Light is on and D4 light is flashing.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Go to autozone, or other parts house and have obd2 scan of your car. Write the codes (Pnnnn) and post them for help.

good luck