General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

auto Transmission - slips/broke/snapped

Old 04-18-2015, 04:45 PM
Default auto Transmission - p0700 p0730

Sup guys, i got a 1998 honda accord ex automatic with f23a4

welp, was doing 80mph on the interstate, took the off ramp, and as i was slowing down from 50mph to the redlight, around 25mph just a snap/jolt and thought it was wierd. go to drive when light turns green, going nowhere in 1st just revving, 2 works fine and its what D is stuck in, its how i drove home, and 3 d4 do nothing.

I tried going from 2nd at 45mph into d4 and no difference, after about 10 seconds heard a loud screech and my rpms would rise/drop like it continuously slipped.

Also, Park Neutral Reverse do not work, unless you turn the car off and let it sit for 5-10minutes, then it will shift into neutral/reverse, and Drive had a 2 second delay.

** Would this be a shift solenoid problem internally/externally? or is the trans itself shot? the trans fluid is full, deffinately dirty though, and when you pop the hood i see a double solenoid bolted ontop with a plug. Not exactly sure if its worth it trying to change external solenoids if the trans itself is blown

thanks

Last edited by phantom699; 04-20-2015 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

I'd start by scanning for codes before replacing any parts.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:53 AM

i scanned the codes like 5mins after it happened cause i was right next to a autozone. sadly i dont remember lol. p0700 was thrown twice, 1 was confirmed other was pending, and then there was 1 code.

i removed the double solenoid ontop of the trans, cleaned with brake cleaner, only 1 screen had a little bit of junk in it, and installed. started the car and it shifted from 1st 2nd 3rd but harsh, it was a good sign though. perhaps the solenoid is bad? and the car cant read what gear its in anymore.

My battery ground was falling apart also so i ended up redoing that literally 2 days before this happened. i just took 2 wires from my rywire ground kit i used on my crx, and ran them to the same spot as old ground. not sure if related,

Old 04-20-2015, 04:02 PM

got around to scanning it today. p0700 which is the typical code for trans problem, and p0730 which is incorrect gear ratio.

i reset the codes today, starts right up, shifts into reverse/neutral etc. but when going into drive, it starts off in 1st gear, shifts to 2nd hard, and wouldnt shift into 3rd on its own or with me going to 3.

i guess i can drain about 1qt of atf and refill with fresh, not sure if honda brand or something else. and then iv seen people just put a wire to the positive battery terminal, and then go 1 pin at a time for the solenoids and see if they click.

also reading the tcu could be bad, which i guess is part of the ecu itself hence immobilizer, so not sure how to go about testing that.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:29 PM

removed the obvious double solenoid 1 plug when u open the hood, screens were still clean after 5mins of driving in 2nd gear yesterday. tested it via battery and both click fast and smooth, doesnt sound slow or stuck etc.

removed the battery tray and the other double solenoid underneath with 2 plugs, and there is only 3 o-rings, no screen. tested the solenoids and they both click fast and smooth.

theres 2 other solenoids that are single below the tcc/shift that i need to remove and test via 12v battery, and i plan to drain 1qt of fluid and put fresh 1qt honda atf in. not sure what else to possibly do, not throwing any code besides incorrect gear ratio so starting to think the trans overheated and fried something internally. will update as i go

Old 04-21-2015, 03:55 PM

the 2 single solenoids test good that are below the tcc/lock double solenoid. only sensors left would be something that appears to screw in on the very bottom, and 1 above it that slides in.

other then that last effort would be drain a quart of atf and refill.

the only check engine codes still are p0700 for transmission problem and p0730 for incorrect gear ratio. did a hard reset and pulled battery while digging around and same problem persist still.

also my D4 is not flashing nor giving a code. all of the lights light up correctly and stay on constant depending on what gear it is in.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:51 PM

flushed the trains fluid today of 2.5qts and refilled with 2qts honda atf and some lucas trans ****. not really too much material came out, few small pieces but the trans service record is unknown, for the last 150k miles without changing the trans fluid, it didnt seem too bad for me.

valve cover gasket is leaking like a bitch apparently, more then i remember. only on the front/back passenger side of the corners. below the vtec solenoid is just covered all the way down to the pan.

^ i do realise the 2nd clutch pressure switch is below the vtec area, but unsure if the oil leak would effect it or not. since flushing the trans once, my 1st to 2nd gear engagement is less harsh but still can not shift to 3rd gear.

will have to pick up a felpro valve cover gasket and clean up the oil when it stops raining.