General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Battery Weird Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Default Bad Battery Weird Problems

3 things have been happening to my 1995 Honda Accord for the last 6 months, ever since I took my car to a California Smog Only Station.
Speedometer flickers a lot and can stay off for several minutes, at different times the engine light comes on and the green transmission light comes on and pulsates. 2 days ago my battery went totally dead, I actually new that it had been getting bad for the last year because if I didn't drive for 4 or 5 days I would have to jump it. I trickle charged it overnight and it wouldn't even turn my car over....yes thats how long it takes the obvious to hit me! put in brand new battery and have run the car about 60 miles with no issues....could the bad battery have been causing my 3 issues? One other thing when I was having the issues, if I turned the car off and then on again, there would be no issues but they would come back again in 2 to 10 miutes.
Thanks For Your Input, Al

Old 09-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Low battery voltage and no charge from alternator (altenator light on?) will cause problems. If alt light is on, problems will return.

If alt light is not on, clean battery connections thoroughly to avoid future problems.

good luck

Old 09-01-2012, 09:34 PM

Alternator light does not come on, now or when the battery was going bad. I don't think its a alternator problem, I just was curious if a bad battery and it was really bad would cause those other 3 issues to occur as I don't seem to have them now.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Occasionally, the harmonic balancer rubber bushing will fail and allow the crankshaft pulley to slip. This will cause the battery to eventually fail due to lack of charge, however the charge light will not come on,...at least that was experience I had on an Acura.

If problem returns, check the harmonic balancer by marking a radial line from outside to inside across the rubber bushing. Run engine and observe whether inside and outside of radial line become misaligned. If yes, the pulley is slipping.

Low battery can cause starting problems, but does not cause other problems while running unless the voltage dips too low (no charging).

good luck

Old 09-02-2012, 11:17 AM

Thank you, I will try that and keep monitoring it if that is not the issue.