General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery cable broken

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 05:45 PM
Default Battery cable broken

I have a 2013 Accord EX-L (Navi) and auto transmission.

Awhile back I noticed my positive battery terminal had blue corrosion all over it. Today I went to scrape it off with a wire brush and in doing so the positive terminal loop that secures the cable to the post of the battery snapped off so now the positive cable is on the battery very loosely and I'm worried it will come off while driving down the road and leave me stranded.

I tried looking up online what parts I need to replace it but it isn't very clear to me. The positive battery cable is insulated and seems to run all the way through down to the engine and it looks to have more than several pieces.

Is this something I can replace myself with no issues or is this something I should have Honda do? Also what parts do I need to purchase if I do it myself?

On second thought is it possible to just replace the positive battery terminal instead of the cable itself?

Last edited by PackManDan; 01-26-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

From Honda the OE cable will be a bit pricey and is connected to a few different spots - it should split from the battery into two leads - one to the starter and another to the fuse box.

A DIY job to replace the OE cable will take a bit of time as you have to get all of the connections un-done then "fish" the old one out, then the new one in and then re-attach everything.

Replacing just the end, well that has a set of its own issues. First you have to cut the old cable back far enough to get to a "good" section where the corrosion hasn't eaten into the cable.....does that leave enough slack to re-attach a new end and got it onto the battery.

Next question, if replacing just the battery end - how do you want to do this? There are the cheap lead clamp style ends you can get for ~$2. IMHO that will get you a few years of life.

Or do you go all out and get a copper lug to crimp onto the good part of the cable and add some heat shrink tubing over that, then get a OE style lead free battery end that has a stud connection and attach it to the battery and the "lug" to the stud?

Sorry I did give a "clear" answer but the question is one that has many "tails" IMHO.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Is this a V6? Only the V6 had an automatic transmission.

The 4 cylinder had CVT or manual transmission.