General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery confusion

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default battery confusion

This is regarding my passport, er, Isuzu Rodeo.

A week ago Thursday, one of my friends left the door partly ajar overnight, and I didnt catch it until it had been like that for about 24hrs. Well, this kept on the dome light and the little lights in all of the door panels.

As expected, everything was a bit dim, and it wouldnt turn over. Well, the starter would crank once, then click. So I jumped it with my accord, and then drove it around. It was in the mid 40s then.

Next morning (about 25 degrees out), I went to start it up (I dont drive it that often) just to check, and it barely started. The starter motor struggled to turn over, but on the 2nd turn, it caught. After quietly cursing, I figured I'd better start shopping for a new battery. My father's records show that it is about 7 yrs old, so it is time. I tried again Saturday AM and got the same result. Again, it was about 25 degrees.

Well, it has been sitting for a week, because I just havent had the time to deal with it. I just went out to turn it over, and it started up like nothing had drained the battery. It's about 50 outside right now.

I am a bit confused as to why it would start so much easier after sittin for a week. My only thought is because the temperature is a bit higher this evening. I will check in the morning.

Any thoughts?

Old 03-30-2008, 09:16 AM
Default RE: battery confusion

well, i cranked it up in the am with the colder temperatures, and it was fine....

i think I am going to move on to the next stage....that of ignoring it until it pops up again.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:23 PM

I'd like to take a stab at this, realizing it runs the risk of sounding stooopid.

I've always supsected that batteries that are in good shape before being run down, as long as they're not really drained, have the ability to charge themselves somewhat. Something like, the electrolytes and the plates can produce the reactions to recharge. You didn't kill it all the way by leaving the door ajar, and then as it sat in warmer temps it was able to recoup.

I've had similar things happen to me, but don't know if this hunch is grounded in good sense.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:34 PM

interesting...

Old 03-31-2008, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

After an episode like that, I'd check the 'water' level inside the battery, as well as checking the specific gravity with a hydrometer.

Any cells level lower than all the rest? Any cells spec.grav. lower then the rest? Either one would indicate a problem.

Colder temperatures exagerate battery problems in 2 ways. The battery itself is less able to make tons of power; & the cold oil means the starter motor draws more power.