General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

warranty confusion

Old 11-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Default warranty confusion

Can anyone give me some advice on extended warranties? I see my Honda dealer will sell me one for about a grand. There are several different contracts to choose from. There are many independent companies that will sell me one too, again with many different contracts to choose from. I have an 06 Accord with 26k on it already. The first owner drove the thing obviously. I average 12k a year so the miles that accumulate will slow down, but I am looking for peace of mind long term. The more I research the warranty issue the more confused I get. Thank you.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:25 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: warranty confusion

There are going to be varied opinions ..... I'd look for one from 00Accordlx5spd since he sells insurance (I think, Jon correct me with your job function if I'm wrong). I'd say that you shouldn't need one since that car is solid. Honda's last forever ...... except for the tranny that I have.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:27 PM

I bought mine used, and beyond any warranties, but doesn't it come with a 3 year something or other?

Also, a friend of mine signed up once for one of those 3rd party warranty companies, and it came down to he couldn't find anyone to actually honor it... 1500 down the drain.. i wouldn't suggest it.

1000 from the dealer doesn't sound to bad, but how long does that last? and for what?

Old 11-06-2007, 06:14 PM

I have until 3 years or 36k from the factory...but I have been hearing so much about the transmissions being junk, I figure it might be worth a grand or so to extend it out to maybe 7/70or maybe even 7/100. Also this thing is an ex-rental car from Florida. The car somehow made it up to New Hampshire, where I bought it. After Car Fax revealed the rental history, I initially walked away from it. The thing is real clean and hard to believe it is an ex rental...but I am sure it must have been driven hard. The transmission is already making me nervous. It clicks loud sometimes when going from reverse to drive...just one loud click then drives fine. No grinding or anything too scary, but the click sounds abnormal. I figure let it blow up while I am covered and no big deal. But I also hear the replacement trannies are potential junk too. I guess time will tell. Anyway, thanks guys for the feedback.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:26 PM

the click is totally normal. my 07 SE did that, brand new off the lot.

dont waste your money on a warranty. there is nothing wring with the tranny in an 06.

my dealer tried to sell me a warranty / maintenance package for about a grand...covered me to 5 yrs, 60k

funny thing is...powertrain is covered till then anyway, and all you really do with the car is change the fluids.

think of it this way. if they weren't making money on it, they wouldnt be selling it!

i am going to go back to staring at my half-empty glass.