General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt rubbing issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 03:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Exclamation Belt rubbing issue

Some of you helped me with my son's distributor ear issue, so I'm hoping y'all can help with this. Since the steering is tight turning from a dead stop or when moving very slow, we decided to pull/replace the pump and discovered that the belt that goes from the alternator to the timing belt area is rubbing against a plastic area (timing belt cover) down by where the timing belt is located. It's wearing at the plastic and fraying the belt, too. A 'mechanic' switched out his timing belt and water pump and changed the valve cover gasket a few weeks ago (just for piece of mind) and now we're wondering if he is the reason it's rubbing, and, even more important, how to fix it before the timing belt cover is worn through or the belt frays beyond repair - or both.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

I've seen this on the 5th gen's (94-97). There is a bolt for the timing belt tensioner that "pokes" thru the cover. Normally there is a washer -rubber - that slips around the head of the bolt that mates with the cover and holds it back.

Over time that washer goes away and there is nothing to hold the cover. Heat and that then starts to distort the cover.

Easy thing to do is get an "e-clip"/"c-clip" from a hardware store that fits the groove in the bolt.....at least that is how "poorman" handles these....better than a new cover and new OE washer...plus usually you can use one hand to push in the cover while you slip the clip on to the head of the bolt and therefore you do not have to remove anything

Old 04-26-2017, 08:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks, poorman212, we'll try it. Any special tools or just slip it on the bolt?

Old 04-28-2017, 04:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
I've seen this on the 5th gen's (94-97). There is a bolt for the timing belt tensioner that "pokes" thru the cover. Normally there is a washer -rubber - that slips around the head of the bolt that mates with the cover and holds it back.

Over time that washer goes away and there is nothing to hold the cover. Heat and that then starts to distort the cover.

Easy thing to do is get an "e-clip"/"c-clip" from a hardware store that fits the groove in the bolt.....at least that is how "poorman" handles these....better than a new cover and new OE washer...plus usually you can use one hand to push in the cover while you slip the clip on to the head of the bolt and therefore you do not have to remove anything
What size bolt is it? I've been searching online and asking at auto parts stores, and no one knows. I want to make sure I get an e-clip that fits. Thanks!

Old 04-29-2017, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

Again the set up on the 4th gen is a bit different than the 5th gen. In this pic, #27 is what I;m thinking is missing.

Attached Thumbnails Belt rubbing issue-timing-cover.jpg  
Old 04-29-2017, 04:28 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
Again the set up on the 4th gen is a bit different than the 5th gen. In this pic, #27 is what I;m thinking is missing.
Thanks for the reply, and yes, I understand what you're saying. I'm just trying to get an idea of the bolt size so I know what size e-clip to get. It's ok tho. I'm sure I can just find a fastener assortment pack with a clip that'll work. I do appreciate the help. Thanks!

Old 04-30-2017, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

A guess, 10mm. You can go to one of the many "online honda dealers" websites and look up the parts diagrams. Many times the description of the part will have the spec's

Old 05-05-2017, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I found that water hose gasket made a perfect replacement for original gasket.

good luck