General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake light issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 09:44 PM
Default brake light issues

I have a 98 accord. My brakes lights went out the other day but the 3rd brake light still works? I've checked all the fuses and they are fine. Replaced bulbs themselves, I checked out the the brake switch by the brake pedal and I've got power going through it. The 12 pin connector in the trunk has power in the white/black wire when the brake pedal is pressed. I even have power to two connectors that arent even being used when the brake pedal is pressed but I dont have power to the brake lights themselves. the running lights work and I have power into the brake light connector when lights are on but still no brake lights. So why wouldnt I have power to the red or green wire at the brake light connector when the brake pedal is pressed?

Old 07-25-2014, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

It most likely is a faulty brake light failure sensor. That sensor is located on the left side of the trunk, it has the 6P gray harness connector plugged into it.

The high mount brake light works as it doesn't go through the brake light failure sensor.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

What is ironic is that sensor is part of the circuit to help indicate a brake light bulb is out; but, can instead cause the brake lights to not work if the sensor components are faulty.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:24 PM

Thanks I'll have to look into that. I did not know that was there

Old 07-26-2014, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a picture of the location.

Attached Thumbnails brake light issues-failure-sensor.jpg  
Old 07-26-2014, 08:14 PM

Would there be for any reason that my accord would not have a stop light failure sensor?

Upon further research and looking at what I have in my accord I cannot find a failure sensor. On the left side I have the turn signal light and connector, the brake light and connector, And then what I'm assuming is the connector for the failure sensor. It just isnt connected to anything just hanging there. I looked next to where the lights plug in and it looks like there are some clips to hold something. I tore apart the carpet to see if it had just fallen out or something but no luck. I tried jumping the wires ( white/black to the solid green) with a paper clip and the left and right brake lights came on. So I'm just missing the sensor altogether?

SO next question is do I really need the $30 sensor or can I just connect the two wires together and have the brake lights work. Would this cause any issues to just connect the two wires together? Thanks

Old 07-26-2014, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

If the failure sensor was not there (probably someone took it out), they probably already wired it directly if the brake lights work before. Their wiring may have gotten disconnected.

You should be able to connect the Wht/Blk directly to the Grn wire without issue.

The wiring is slightly different for a sedan vs coupe; but, it still shouldn't make a difference with what you would be doing. Attach is the circuit diagram for a sedan. Coupe has additional right and left inner brake light/taillight.

Attached Thumbnails brake light issues-brakes.jpg  

Last edited by redbull-1; 07-26-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:42 PM

Thanks for the info and help on my issues.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:54 PM

Just as an update. I straight wired the two wires together (white/black to the solid green). Its been a few days and I have had no issues. No broken fuses and all the lights still work.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Good to hear and thanks for reporting back. If your wiring connection makes good contact and is secure, it shouldn't cause any future problems.