General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake light turns on when driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 01:27 AM
Default brake light turns on when driving

i have 98 accord lx and the hand brake light turns on when im driving and then goes away. I always check the hand brake and its always down. what could this be?? any idea whats causing it?

Old 11-19-2007, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: brake light turns on when driving

Could be the parking break switch or the brake fluid level switch. Make sure that your brake fluid in the master cylinder is not low. Also check that the float can move freely.

I have read about others having to replace the float/cap.

There should be two wires coming out of the master brake cylinder. The cirucuit should be open if the level is high enough and closed if the fluid is too low. You can test this by using a volt meter.

As for the e-brake switch, you can do the same test. The the e-brake lever is up, the circuit should be closed. Down is open.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:25 PM
Default RE: brake light turns on when driving

there is a 'problem' with the brake master cylinder float. it creates too good a seal causing a pressure difference. this causes the fluid level inside the filter to be lower than the fluid level outside the filter. since the float is inside the filter it sets off the brake warning light. usually this only occurs after the car has been sitting for a few hours and goes away after driving 15min or so.

replace the filter with the updated filter or modify your filter. cut two small notches 180 degrees from each other. the notches should be as big as the letter U i just typed. use a pair of side cutters to do the dirty work. make it look like the new style: