General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake system warnings

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 06:24 PM
Default Brake system warnings

2008 Honda Accord, 3.5L, EX-L, Automatic Transmission

While I was driving around one day, on a poorly maintained road, I received the following warning lights simultaneously:

Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) System Indicator
VSA Activation Indicator
Brake System Indicator
Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Indicator

Observation: Sometimes, when the vehicle is off for a prolonged period of time, the lights take anywhere from a few moments to several minutes to come back in.

I hooked up an actron AutoScanner (CP9670) and received the following error codes:

61-1 Battery Voltage Malfunction
83-1 Engine Control Module (ECM) / Powertrain Control Module (PCM) relation malfunction

After research, I noticed these codes were potentially from previous problems and had never been cleared. I cleared the codes from the scanner and ever since then no error codes have re-appeared, yet the before mentioned lights remained on.

The research I've done (google search similar symptoms) looks like it's starting to point towards the ABS Modulator. I am hesitant to jump into replacing this part because every problem I've found that was similar to mine was on newer model accords (2013 and up) and their symptoms also included the power steering system.

Randy

Old 08-12-2018, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Diagnosis will be tricky, because the lights are controlled by a network. If you scanner can read any live data, try to read information from the abs modulator to see if the abs system is providing live data.

Check all of your fuses, especially fuses that pertain to the ABS system.