General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes squeeling, but my brake pads are fine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 01:51 PM
Default Brakes squeeling, but my brake pads are fine?

I drive an 02 accord coupe ex with a v6. Very often when I brake, there is a squeeking sound that comes from multiple wheels, but it hasn't been getting worse over time. I have disc brakes all around. My brake pads are fine and still have a ways to go, and my rotors aren't scored or damaged, but the squeeking sound is still present during braking.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Old 04-15-2014, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

That noise from brakes when the pad material is good is caused by vibration of the pad in the caliper.

Suggest replacing the pad hardware and lube the proper sliding/contact points of the pads to the bracket. While there it wouldn't hurt to lube the slide pins.

Last edited by poorman212; 04-17-2014 at 06:44 PM. Reason: dang I really can't spell?
Old 04-16-2014, 01:24 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

^^^ Yes.

But if the last brake work was done at a shop, take it back to them and ask that they correct the work. Best.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:49 AM

After 10 years of working in a dealership, I can say that brake squeak is sometimes unfixable. As poorman said, the noise you hear is a high speed vibration that becomes audible. Sometimes you can address it fully with what poorman suggested. The hardware and some lube in the correct places dampens the vibration and therefore the noise.

One of the biggest contributors to brake squeal is pad choice. OEM pads are the least likely to make noise (but they sometimes do) as they were designed with this issue in mind. Driving habits are another factor. My daughter gets a lot of brake noise because she being in college doesn't need to drive the car often.

Brake squeal was such a common complaint at one point (and they may now) offer a "low noise" brake pad as an option. On the down side, these low noise pads don't last as long as the standard issue pads.

To summarize, make sure your hardware (springs/clips) are replaced at the next brake change. Lubricate slide pins. and finally make sure you get a quality pad, OEM from Honda is the best for noise (but not necessarily the best for every application)