General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Burning coolant now.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 04:40 PM

189k. No compression test. Lets hope the mechanic fixes it. Itd be nice to not have to deal with it anymore.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:14 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by RobinsonRicer
If coolant was crossing into the engine through that connection would it happen immediately or would the car have to warm up first? Thats the only spot I could imagine coolant would get in without any cracks in the head.
It would be immediate.
The adapter was from rosko racing.
I used Rosko's adapter too and had no problems.

Thinking back on when I did a head gasket job, I don't think there are any coolant passages between the IM and head. There's the coolant pipe and thermostat, and the small hoses going to the IACV & FITV at the throttle body, no coolant going through the manifold. Just exhaust for the EGR.

Seems strange that you would develop a head gasket leak right after the swap. Aside from getting the IACV upside down, I can't think of anything you could have done to allow coolant to leak into the manifold.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:18 PM

The coolant passage goes from the radiator to the head and then into the intake manifold and back through the thermostat housing.

The coolant passage is on the right side of the engine (facing front) next to the farthest intake passage.

Although its at the mechanic I can call before they start on it if theres something more to this-

When I got everything all together and finally working, the car was smoking white. I thought there was still coolant in the system from the gasket issues before during the swap. With a new gasket it seemed like everything was fine and so I test drove the car and let it idle to clear the system. Nothing changed. I drove home and it was still smoking. Then I turned on my car this morning and I didn't see any smoke. Drove it around the corner to the mechanic and I didn't see anything. But the car wasn't given a chance to warm up. Maybe it was happening but not enough to really notice.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:50 PM

Problems solved. O ring and some tightening apparently. I posted some pics and now will work on a write up and try to get some data for the upgrade.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:48 AM
Default Schweeeet!

Problems solved. O ring and some tightening apparently. I posted some pics and now will work on a write up and try to get some data for the upgrade.
I was watchin. Glad you got it fixed.