General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Busted Ignition still Works but...

Old 07-13-2014, 07:32 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Busted Ignition still Works but...

My car was broken into a while back. They tore the ignition w/ pieces on the floor. I thought I needed a new ignition switch, but with 2 others, and this one needs some work, I delayed it. Last night I had a wild hair and decided to try to turn the ignition. After wiggling and jiggling the key and steering wheel, it turned.

Is there a way to "fix" the ignition so it'll turn without all the wiggling and jiggling? It took about 5 minutes this morning and it stuck when trying to take the key out.

I'd prefer not to have to buy another ignition and have 2 accord keys.

Busted Ignition still Works but...-photo-1.jpg

Busted Ignition still Works but...-photo-2.jpg

Old 07-13-2014, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

If this was my car, I would get a used mechanical part of the ignition switch (either online or a u-pull-it type junk yard). Then I would take it to a locksmith and have them re-key it for your current key.

Then install the mechanical part of the switch, then it is like the car was never broken into.

You might consider replacing the electrical part of the ignition switch (not a used part on this one), and install it with the mechanical part. The only reason i say this, is that the electrical portion of these switches fail on these vehicles. There was even a recall where Honda replaced them. You should call your dealership to find out if your car was part of the recall, and when the repair was done.

The hardest part of the job is removing the shear bolts that hold this whole assembly to the steering column. It is a safety feature.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:59 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks PA. I messed with it some more and I found that as it "locks" when I turn the key back towards 0, if I rhythmically push the key in and out a little while turning the key, it "rolls" into position. I wonder how long that'll last though.

I'll call a locksmith this weekend.