General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can the hazard switch be bypassed to fix turn signals??

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 11:22 PM
Default can the hazard switch be bypassed to fix turn signals??

Im new to the site and i drive a 96 accord lx, which i absolutely love, but for the life of me i cannot figure out or find out how to get my turn signals to work without having the hazard switch/button plugged in. The reason i have it unplugged is because its constantly stuck on if i have it plugged in, but without it i have no signals at all. Normally, id go buy a new switch/button for the hazards and fix the problem simply, but im having money problems right now and absolutely cant afford to spend $100+ just for a button i never even use anyways.

There has to be a way to make the turn signals work without having the hazard button plugged in, whether it be jumping 2 wires together, splicing, or something else....can anyone at all shed any light on this and tell me how to bypass the hazard button please? I really need my signals to work before i get a ticket for it, which i definately cannot afford either, only as a temporary fix until i can come up with the money for a new hazard button/junkyard button.

I took the button apart and couldnt figure out why it was sticking, the spring works fine and everything, so im confused. It is basically a 3 piece button, one part is the casing that holds the contacts, and the other 2 are another set of contacts that have the wiring harness pins on them, im assuming one for the hazards and one for the turn signals, correct? Im assuming there should be a way to either bridge the contacts or something so the car thinks the hazard button is plugged up and working, but my turn signals will still work and the hazard button just not work.

When i plug in the button, the hazards are constantly on, pushing the button does nothing. And to make matters worse, i lost that damned little spring when i took the button apart, which doesnt hurt much cuz the button wasnt working anyways. So im basically asking how i can bypass the button or make the signals work until i can afford another hazard button/switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Old 01-08-2013, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

Can you find a switch from a junkyard?

Old 01-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

did you try pulling the fuse from the underhood box, no. 35? can't tell from the diagram if it will disable both hazard and turn signals but worth a shot. otherwise, it's either a bad switch, relay or turn signal switch.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Pull the switch and "work it". Many times dirt and that gets on the outside of the button and then when it is used once....that dirt will "stick" it closed.

In the "off" position.....pin "C" to "I" of the switch sends power to the flasher relay.....so without that being sent....switch in place.....then no the turn signals are not going to work.

As Jim said....junk yard. Or try "working"/cleaning the one you have.

Last jump C to I, wire side.

Did I ever say I hate electrical issues.

Last edited by poorman212; 01-08-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Well, dang I'm stupid. I read your post again and I see you tried to clean the switch.

Guess it is time for me to give up for the day.....jump C to I on the harness......GET A NEW SWITCH ASAP, jumping wires to make something work is not what I like.