General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car not starting and stuck in parking

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2022, 12:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies

unfortunately not

Old 06-26-2022, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Before you can do any troubleshooting, you will have to get the battery charged, or make sure you don't have a bad/corroded/poor connection at the battery terminals. Then you can try to figure out why the battery drained.

Old 06-26-2022, 04:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies

just to recap what we got till now
1. Broken brake switch pad
2. Car running fine till last evening but not cranking/not starting since morning (
)
3. Transmission stuck in parking and bypassing also won't help in starting the car
3. Car lights not turning up on switching on/no dshboard lights on
4. Brake lights not turning on even after pressing the brake switch
5. Last battery change 3 months back

What I need to do
1. Change the brake switch pad
2. Check if the batter is completely dead

I will get a multimeter soon.

It's such a pain to not have a working car in US!

Old 06-26-2022, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

You definitely have no power from the battery and will need to address that first. Since the battery is very new, a light was probably left on all night and just drained the battery.

Recharging should fix the problem. If you are friends with your neighbors, you can ask if you can jump start off their car and let the engine run to charge the battery.

Old 06-28-2022, 09:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Put on brake stop and jump started. The battery is working fine.

Thanks a ton for the help

Old 06-29-2022, 05:11 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Today morning, the battery is almost dead again. See faint dashboard lights and car is again in no crank/no start mode. Does it indicate a dead battery or a possible leakage somewhere. Don't want install a new battery only to find that also died in a day.

Btw the battery is EverStart and was purchased 3 months ago from Walmart. Any idea whether they provide a refund? It was an in-store purchase so I don't have the receipt.

Last edited by Rashflow; 06-29-2022 at 05:18 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 06-29-2022, 11:04 AM

You have a battery drain somewhere...

When your turn off the car, are the tail lights on? If so, then that plastic piece on the brake pedal is missing. This plastic contacts the brake switch and turns on the tail light when you push the brakes.
When this plastic piece is missing, the switch goes through a hole in the brake pedal bar and thinks the pedal is down. Or the brake switch is bad.

Also, when you turn off the car, is the "battery light" barely glowing? This indicates a leaking rectifier bridge in the alternator. You will need to have the alternator tested.

Last but not least... are the interior lights on? there are some switch settings that leave the interior lights on all the time. Turn this light off. I am talking dome light.

If none of these help, then you have a more challenging problem trying to find the battery drain.

Old 06-29-2022, 02:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks.
I had the break stop missing which was the cause of the problem or maybe unearthed a deeper problem. After replacing It yesterday I had jump started.
I jump started my car again this morning after finding it dead and let it run for 20-25 mins. I would not claim that i am 100% sure but my lights are not barely on. i will double check though once i get back home. Interior lights are all off.
when i cranked this morning it didn’t sound like a starter problem. Hoping not to find it dead again after i rutrn back home. Will update.

Old 06-29-2022, 07:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Returned home and cranked my car. Worked fine. I guess if it survives the night then its good

Old 07-04-2022, 04:36 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Working fine. Thanks for all your comments.