General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car shuts off in middle of shifts!!! help

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 03:01 PM
Default Car shuts off in middle of shifts!!! help

Hi guys, new to the forum. I have a 1999 accord DX, 2.3 liter, 5spd. Sometimes the car will shut itself off in the middle of shifts. The car should idle down to approx 700 rpm or so, but sometimes it will drop too low like it's hunting for it's idle speed but in the process will drop too low in the rpm's and stall out. I can start it back up and it will idle right away. I also scanned the codes and nothing came up.

PS. the ignition switch was already replaced.

Thanks.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Is the check engine light turning on? Stop by a parts store and have them scan for codes anyway. Have them test the battery, alternator, and starter while they are out there.

If you had the ignition switch replaced, the new switch was the same as the original one. So a Honda replacement ignition switch can fail. Can you get the car to stall out by shaking the key while driving?

Are the maintenance items up to date like distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, air filter, etc?

Old 12-16-2010, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Believe it or not, Honda's idle-control system doesn't like to have air pockets in the cooling system. Check for that.

Also... Look to see if your throttle body and/or throttle butterfly-plate needs to be cleaned up.

Look in the DIY section for something I wrote about adjusting the BASE idle. Misguided adjustment of different things can confuse the idle-control system. It'll work OK most of the time but fail to catch a dropping RPM during a shift.