General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

car stops running while driving!! ouch!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 04:46 PM
travicki
Unregistered
Default car stops running while driving!! ouch!

Hi,
New here, but have a question and was hoping someone could help. I have a 93 accord lx, 2 dr. coupe, 4cyl. fuel injected (don't know what other informationI may be missing, if any,but ifI am,I apologize up front) Ok, here goes.... In the middle of driving home one night my car stopped running . I was going around 55 m.p.h. at the time. I got the car off to the side and later it started so I took it home, then to a mechanic that said he could find nothing wrong with the car. (so of course, my husband thinks it's something I did........go figure) Anyway, it happened to my husband while he was driving, but started up again a few minutes later. Ok, so this went on a couple of times until last night it would not restart. Any idea as to why this would occur? Thank you, in advance, for your time.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: car stops running while driving!! ouch!

A stalling car is due to lack of spark or fuel. So the car will not start at all now? Does the engine spin (starter engaged) when you try to start or does nothing happen?

Stalling while driving points towards the electrical portion of the ignition switch. The coil or ignitor could be bad, but lets start with the simple tests first.

For starters, make sure that your battery cables are all clean and secure at all ends (to the battery posts, ground, etc).

If you have a volt meter, turn the key to the II position. If you pull the electrical connector to the distributor, and probe the yel/blk wire and ground, you should have 12V. If you don't have 12V have the electrical part of the ignition switch replaced.

Here is a quick check for fuel. Listen carefully for the fuel pump to turn on for two seconds when you turn the key to the II position. It has a faint whirlling sound from the back seat/trunk. If you hear the fuel pump, you know that it is getting power from the main fuel relay. It doesn't verify if the fuel pump is working properly but is a simple test that may indicate a bad fuel pump.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Default RE: car stops running while driving!! ouch!

The main relay could be bad but that is usually a "happens more than once" kind of thing. When the relay heats up any bad or weak solder joints will lose contact. When it cools down it's contacting again and will run. Always seems to be worse above 90 degrees outside temp and/or high humidity. Something to investigate anyway ...