General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Carb. Questions 87 LX

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 02:13 PM
Default Carb. Questions 87 LX

We have got a 1987 Honda LX with the auto trans. Her name is Maude and she has 170k+ miles on her.
It was grandma's car (bought new), when she died we bought it from grandpa. I then drove her to work for a few years. Right about the time I bought myself a pickup, some good friends needed a good first car for their daughter. We sold to them, with the caveat that we get first chance when/if they sell. About six months ago their daughter got married (newer car as wedding gift), and our daughter was finally of driving age. So, we bought "her" back.
Maude has always been well maintained. But, she needed a new carburetor while she was with our friends. He rebuilt the carb and tuned it enough to make her run.
So we finally took Maude in for a spa day. She runs better and a carb tune was on the list of fixes. Compression is not great and she is still a little choppy until she warms up (rings?).

So here are my questions:

Warm idle is set at 750 RPM. That seems about right, but about 100 or so more RPMs smooth her out in Drive at a light. Leave it alone?

When cold starting she wants to idle at 750 RPM. If I remember correctly (it has been about 5 years): I would pump the throttle 3-4 times then start her up without touching the throttle. She would kick into a fairly high idle for awhile and either kick down automatically or when I would tap the throttle. Am I remembering this correctly? If so, what is the correct cold start RPM? What should I tell my mechanic if I have to take it back?

Thanks!

Old 02-04-2016, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know the proper settings. The honda hookup link in this thread has an 86-89 shop manual you can download for free that will have the information and how to test/adjust. I think you may have to register on that site.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-manuals-4597/

Old 02-04-2016, 03:44 PM

I cannot seem to access any of the Honda Hookup files. I did Register with them. They download ok but my phone cannot "extract" them?