General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

carb.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Default carb.

New member here. I just bought a 84 Accord LX 1.8 cu. 5sp. Everything works. 150,000 mi eng rebuit, has 90,000 very good shape. I`m not up on these cars (first one of this kind). I tuned it up, but don`t know where the idel mixture screw is? The only other tning is when I turn the air on the rpm does not pick up. Thanks

Old 05-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: carb.

ORIGINAL: duck

New member here. I just bought a 84 Accord LX 1.8 cu. 5sp. Everything works. 150,000 mi eng rebuit, has 90,000 very good shape. I`m not up on these cars (first one of this kind). I tuned it up, but don`t know where the idel mixture screw is? The only other tning is when I turn the air on the rpm does not pick up. Thanks

Ok lets take this 1 step at a time////////// when you say the idle mixture screw are you trying to richen or lean the carb or just to adjust the idle ..

the idle adjuster screw is on the back of carb it has a black **** on it ,,,,,,,,,all that does is lower or raise the idle

IF you are trying to change fuel ratio you need the mixture screw it is also located on back of carb , inside the throttle diaphram holding plate, there is a little opening in the carb, the proper adjustment for that screw is , gently bottom it in ( clockwise ) and then turn it out ( counterclock wise ) 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 turns ..

As for the a/c .. there is a solenoid on the firewall behind the carb. make sure it is plugged in and both vacc hoses are ok,, on the passanger side of the carb , there is the a/c diaphram, with a/c on make sure that you are getting vacc to the hose that goes to diaphram ..if you are. get a vacc pump, apply vacc to diaphram manually to make sure it is not leaking and hold vacc ... .......the a/c adjustment screw , you can get to it from the frt of the carb it is located at the frt of the a/c diaphram,

try and post results

Old 05-07-2006, 10:59 AM

Everything went well, just as you explained. The only other thing is the fast idle cam ajustment. I pump it once and it starts right away. However the idle seems high just under 2000 rpm. I bought a Hays manual but it is very general. Thanks again.

Old 05-07-2006, 04:16 PM

WWW. HELMINC.COM ,,(800) 782-4356

if you want to buy a service manual call these guys , they sell the same service manual honda dealerships use........

does the idle stay up at 2000 even after engine is warm ?? or when you first start car up??

if it stay high after engine is warm, make sure nothing is binding, accell cable is not too tight and try adjusting the idle screw from the back side of carb..

Old 05-08-2006, 08:38 AM

After it warms up it will drop down. I was thinking of putting a return spring on, but there is no room. Other than that the car runs fine. In fact I`ll take it instead of my 99 jeep.It is fun to drive!

Old 05-08-2006, 12:05 PM

when you first start up the car, it is normal that the rpm are higheer especially if you live in a cold climate .. that is the fast idle ( choke ) doing its job, the rpm can go up to 2500 rpm depending on the fast idle settings,, as long as the idle drops after engine is warm you are ok ..

Old 05-09-2006, 08:32 AM

Yes it does drop after warming up. I just thought it was high. Compairing to my other cars. I live near Hershey P.a.