General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking main relay/won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 06:30 PM

Okay, tried it(resetting the SRS Light) one more time and it(the SRS Light) did the same thing. Counted 100 blinks before I cut it off. Hook up to the MES on passenger side and it (the SRS light) blinked 10 long, then 1 short blinks, the it just stayed solid red. The CEL did not blink any, it just stayed on. Turned off switch and turn back and the CEL reset, car cranked and has been running at idle now for 1 hour. SRS light is still on. Checked under hood and found the TPS connector loose so pushed it up till it clicked. Afraid to drive off but here goes. One thing though, when I restarted the engine it hesitated a couple of sec then cough/idle up. Not sure if that means anything.

Last edited by Bigdaddy 1; 03-24-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:38 PM

One more thing. The SRS light did a glitch blink like an arc blink before it went off the first time during the reset attempt. Hope I'm not over reaching, just trying to cover all bases.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:37 PM

The light should reset if everything within the system is connected and the procedure is done correctly at the SRS service connector. I am beginning to wonder if there is a voltage drop some place in the system which will disable the SRS and thus cause the light to be on. Don't go getting a battery, but check the voltage drop at startup and check the terminal connections and ground. Is there any aftermarket remote starter or anti theft device invoked here?

Old 03-25-2015, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Turtlehead
The light should reset if everything within the system is connected and the procedure is done correctly at the SRS service connector. I am beginning to wonder if there is a voltage drop some place in the system which will disable the SRS and thus cause the light to be on. Don't go getting a battery, but check the voltage drop at startup and check the terminal connections and ground. Is there any aftermarket remote starter or anti theft device invoked here?
Okay, had an issue last night so we did not drive the car out. Just started the car and it ran 2 min and stopped. Can't get a code for the CEL. Will a voltage drop cause that or is that an ECU problem?

Old 03-25-2015, 03:44 PM

Just check the car again trying to see if the CEL reset and got D4 code 14. What does that mean?

Old 03-25-2015, 04:23 PM

For the code the first thing to check is a faulty PGM-Fi system, which given your thread description leads back to that with the clicking relay. Once that system can be rueled out with complete confidence then it is on to electrical diagonistics of the transmission system. Honestly to me it sounds like there is a fault in the PGM-Fi system that may be dropping voltage and thus will cause the SRS light to come on and with throw the D4 light to flash fourteen times. I suggest replacing the PGM-FI main relay with a Honda part, clearing all codes and see what happens. I have to assume there are no mods to the car as requested before.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:24 AM

Okay I have been at this all night, first response to your question, the only mod is a CD / radio. I went to a salvage yard and got several relays. I check them all for continuity using a thread from the forum and all of them failed. So this morning I went to my local Honda dealer and purchased a brand new one for the hell of it I tested it and it failed. So now I'm confused or maybe I'm doing the test wrong. I know once voltage is added to the relay they all click. So I'm getting ready to drop the fuel tank to access the fuel pump to check it. My question is what's the proper procedure to check the fuel system. I'm going though the forum looking for it now. I know that there is some kind of short because the last time that the car started, the CEL blink several time before it quit. Every time it blinked the engine was trying die.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:47 PM

Okay, from last month to this one the car started running great. Last night my baby girl called me saying that the car shut off. Had low idle so she tried warming it up on next crank. Tried to move and CEL came on and car stop. I had her leave it over night to see if it might reset. This morning no luck. Had her check the CEL and it gave no code but the D4 light gave the code 14 and the SRS light gave the code 101. She is 200 miles away so I need some direction on what to look for trying to figure this thing out when I get down there. Any help would be appreciated. If I'm correct the D4 code is for the ECU and the SRS is the replace the unit.