General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking noise during right turns, NOT cv axles...any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 10:19 PM
Default Clicking noise during right turns, NOT cv axles...any ideas?

This is my first post here so I'll give a little background on myself. I am a very avid gearhead and I consider myself to be a skilled mechanic. I do everything myself from oil changes and general maintenance to engine builds and transmission swaps. I currently have a '95 EX Coupe with the 2.2l VTEC and a 5 speed manual trans. It is completely stock with 140k miles and I rely on it as my daily driver.

Over the last few months it has started to make a clicking noise when I make sharp right turns from a stop in 1st gear. Naturally I assumed that it was a failing cv axle so I changed both axles however the clicking noise is still there. It only happens when making right turns at low speed and it seems to get worse if the car is under load (ie- turning from a stop sign up a slight hill) Occasionally I can hear it faintly when I am going straight at low speed if I am on a hill however it is nowhere near as loud as when I am turning right. Not only can I hear it but I can also feel it to some extent through the steering wheel. As soon as I straighten out the wheel it stops. Having already changed the cv axles Im not sure what else it could be. I hate to think that there is something wrong with the driveline and I want to get it fixed ASAP but I am really out of ideas. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Old 11-16-2012, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Wheel bearing?
Not suggesting to just go & replace it, but maybe not too much effort to get the brake off & check out the bearing.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:48 AM

I replaced the wheel bearing on the drivers side (with a timken bearing, not the cheap autozone one). I checked the passenger side bearing and it is in great shape. It spins freely without making any noise and there is no play in it.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Process of elimination leading to differential or bearings inside transmission. Bet you don't want to hear that...

Wonder if there's any way to make the sound when the front of the car is raised on jackstands. Then pinpoint the location? If you try anything like that, make sure it's supported REALLY GOOD before running the engine.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:20 PM

Yeah I was afraid it might be something inside the differential. I have heard that the manual cars have more problems with this than the automatics but I don't know if thats true or not.

I changed the transmission fluid recently and filled it up with royal purple 10w-30. The old fluid was dirty but I didn't see any metal shavings in it. How hard is it to pull out the trans/diff? Can I buy a rebuilt diff and just swap it in?

More importantly, is this something that is going to break completely and lock up the wheels while I'm driving?

Old 11-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Lets hope someone chimes in with more experience in that. I haven't had that problem in my cars...

Old 01-22-2013, 09:49 PM
Default clicking noise while turning

i have 95 accord, ex 2.2 auto.
it makes clicking noise when i was doing sharp left or right turns while accelerating.
i jacked up the car tonite and turn the wheel all the way left and right, shift to D4 and gave lil gas and brake at the same time, the clicking noise kicks in but not as loud, i guess there werent much load on the wheels. noise tend to coming from the driver side. and also the passenger wheel does not spin, even thou more gas was given out.
all joints are tight, no grease or oil leaks from axles.
tranny is giving up on me?