General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 10:55 PM
Default Clutch Problem

Hey Guys,

I have a 91 Accord with a 5 Speed transmission. I hope I can explain my problem in enough detail to get some ideas on where to go.

I picked this car up on the cheap. Said the clutch was having issues.

Basically, the clutch petal has no pressure. I pulled out the master and pumped it to see what kind of pressure I had. There isn't a ton of pressure but it does push some fluid. I hooked it back up and opened the bleeder and got some spurts coming out.

When the car is running, I can put the car in any gear. Clearly the clutch is not engaging.

My first thought was to replace the master and slave cylinders and then bleed the system.

Am I headed it the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-19-2015, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

Watch the slave cylinder push the clutch fork with an assistant pushing the clutch pedal. The slave cylinder should move the clutch fork.

When you say you can put the car into any gear, does the vehicle move or stall out?

Old 10-19-2015, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Watch the slave cylinder push the clutch fork with an assistant pushing the clutch pedal. The slave cylinder should move the clutch fork.

When you say you can put the car into any gear, does the vehicle move or stall out?
No movement at all on the slave cylinder.

Car does not move or stall out. Acts just like the clutch is still fully depressed.

I think i forgot to mention the pedal stays on the floor and there was no fluid either.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Even without fluid, and without any pedal, it still seems like the clutch itself is worn out. I think you'll need to replace that first. If the clutch was good & the only problem was hydraulics, then it would act like you never pressed down the clutch pedal.

Then it seems like you ALSO have a hydraulic problem. You'll need to get fluid worked into the master cylinder first. That can be a pain.

Loop some string under the clutch pedal so you can pull it back up. Don't just hook your toe under, because if the pedal snaps quickly up it doesn't work real well. Pull the string & control with your foot so the pedal lifts smoothly.

Put a hose & bottle at the slave, just like you're bleeding the clutch. Open the valve.

With a helper to keep fluid in the reservoir, pump the clutch pedal up & down smoothly. It might take A LOT of pumps before you work all the air bubbles out of the master cylinder. THEN you can close the slave & bleed it normally.

Another way, if you have a pressure bleeder, is to pump fluid INTO the slave. Then you are pushing the bubbles uphill, using gravity to help you out. But if there's air in the master, I think you still have to do a bunch of pumping.

Need any instructions for bleeding the clutch, after you get the air out?