General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch probs

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Default clutch probs

i have a 1990 honda accord 5 speed and i let my buddy borrow it and he watched me bleed the slave cylinder and then he thought he could do and tried now when i press the clutch just a lil it gets sucked down to the floor im replacein the master cylinder today do u think thats what it is?????????

Old 03-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Sometimes bleeding a Honda clutch can be strange... You can reverse-bleed it, or if you want to bleed it forward, I usually use a method below.

Reverse-bleeding:
Find some way to suck the fluid out from the master reservoir. If you use a turkey baster, don't ever put it back into the kitchen.

With a pressure-bleeder, connect the hose to the bleed valve on the slave cylinder. Inject the brake fluid into the slave, so it pushes the air bubbles "uphill" to the master. You'll need to continue sucking the excess fluid from the reservoir.

If you don't have a pressure bleeder, use some kind of syringe or maybe a MityVac set to positive pressure.

-----------------

Forward-bleeding:
Here's how I had to bleed it, before I got a pressure-bleeder.

Loop a string around the clutch pedal. As you bleed, it will not spring back up so you have to pull it. Control it with your foot, never let it "snap" upwards.

Pump the clutch pedal & hold it down. Open the bleed valve only long enough to allow fluid to bleed out. Close the valve as soon as it stops. Lift the pedal without allowing it to snap quickly up.

-----------------
Since the clutch is already in a condition where the pedal doesn't spring up correctly, you may have to resort to reverse-bleeding.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If excessive air or loss of fluid (leak) occurs, the clutch pedal will go the floor as you have encountered. This does not mean the MC is bad, rather bleeding is necessary. It may be you have a leak is why the problem is occurring. Leaks can occur in either the master or slave cylinder. They can usually be spotted visually, however MC can leak internally by the piston causing a slow loss of clutch pressure, but not loss of pedal as you have found.

good luck

Old 03-03-2009, 03:56 PM

i think im just goin to fix it or sell it for two or three hundred dollars because the timing belt jump now it starts backfires and die so i might just go back to v8s lol