General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a 2006 Accord, opinons and general info helpful.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 05:28 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Considering a 2006 Accord, opinons and general info helpful.

I think it's just about time to send my old Accord along and get a new old Accord. The one I am considering is a 2006 EX-L Coupe with 4cyl manual with 99,000 miles. I have checked the car fax and it seems to have had 2 owners since new, first a lease to 36,000 miles and the remainder with another local owner. So far so good, right?
However, the maintenance after the lease period was never recorded at a Honda dealer. So, I am sure that I would want the 100,000 mile service done by my local dealer.

1. Would you be concerned that 60,000 miles of maintenance never seemed to be done at Honda? (non OEM fluids, or not at all)
2. If someone has the list of what is needed at 100,000 on this car, it would be appreciated.
3. Any other concerns about this vehicle in general, or experiences you might have had.

Yes I am planning on having a pre-purchase inspection done by my dealer.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

1. I would be more concern whether the car previously had regular engine oil changes. Infrequent oil changes can lead to a stretched timing chain on the 4 cylinder. I would also be concern whether the car burns oil, etc.
  2. The car is approaching the recommended service interval/mileage for spark plugs (iridium) and drive belt change. Other normal maintenance would possibly include some of the following if it was not previously done:
  • Coolant
  • Transmission fluid
  • Engine air filter
  • Cabin filter
  • Brake fluid
  • Engine oil and filter
  • Power steering fluid
  • PCV valve
Although the car has a maintenance minder, it doesn't necessarily mean the previous owner followed them if there are no receipts, etc.

During the pre-inspection, it would be good if they check the compression on each cylinder, brake pad and rotor thickness, etc.

3. Some of the info. in these other links may give you more insight into the 2006 Accord and a comparison to other models and years; so, you don't limit what you might consider as options.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-needed-48285/

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...urchase-57054/

Old 01-19-2014, 07:21 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

After a pre-purchase inspection I would have no concerns. If you purchase the coupe I have left over from 2003 Accord Ex coupe that was recently totaled Honda OEM radiator hoses, air filter, front front sway bar links, wiper refills, keys and grey/black mats( were install a few days before the accident). The keys would have to be cut and activated. I would give you a good deal.

Chris