General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mileage problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 05:24 PM
TexasCJ7
Unregistered
Default Mileage problem

My 1991 Lx just had a used 2.2 motor put in recently, by a friend. Unfortunately he is out of state and can't help me. It seems that my resting idle is between 1200-1400 rpm's. My engine light has also popped up on occasion. I think it might be a bad o2 sensor but not sure. My mileage is a dismal 10-12 mpg even on the highway. Could a bad o2 sensor be the culprit? I am not sure how to adjust the idle, I am only used to working on carbuerated non-computer vehicles. How do I adjust this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Old 03-07-2007, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Mileage problem

First of all, you need to post your errror code. Go to this site (http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/) and click on CEL code retrieval. The pics are from a 94-97, but the connector should be the same on your car. You might have to count the blinks from the light on the ECU itself, and not from the CEL light on the instrument cluster.

EDIT: You CEL light should blink just like the link above shows. I had to look that up. Accords from 91-95 have the same setup.

A bad O2 sensor could be the problem among other things, but you should diagnose the CEL before throwing random parts to fix the car.

Put your Year Model, etc in the signature so its easier for everyone to find your vehicle info.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:12 PM
TexasCJ7
Unregistered

Do you think if I am posting such basic questions I would know how to retrieve my error codes? Was my vehicle info incomplete? I thought I had stated that it was a 1991 Accord lx with a 2.2.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

The vehicle info is fine. I usually look at the bottom of the post to figure out car info. Plus you never have to type your vehicle when you post, its always there. If the thread goes to more pages, then members don't have to go to your first post to figure out your vehicle.

That link I put on my post has pics to walk you through getting your codes. All you have to do is find that two-pin connector (under you glovebox) and bridge the connection with something like a paper clip. Your CEL will stay on when you turn your car to the on position and will start blinking. Its a 5 min job for a beginner, and it will help us to give you suggestions on what the problem is.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Be sure you have a little slack in the throttle cable, before changing the air idle adjustment screw.
The air idle adjustment screw is located about the 11 'O' clock position as you face the open end of the throttle body, usually has grey paint type material on it.
Is the car an Automatic? Maybe the shift pressure cable is out of adjustment and not allowing lockup?
Please repost when you know the CEL code and we will try to help you.