General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A couple of issues..'88 Accord DX

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default A couple of issues..'88 Accord DX

Hello all,

I'm trying to help my brother in law out with his car. I have a couple issues, and very little experience with older hondas.

First, the temp gauge isn't working, it stays pegged way below cold, even worse than when the car is off...we replaced the temp sending unit, made no difference. I just ordered a used cluster off ebay for $20, I'm assuming the gauge is bad...never experienced a problem like this before.

The other problem is very low idle on occasion. I took off the egr and inspected it, it seems good, the needle moves freely. All the hoses seem good, no dry rotting or anything like that. The sight glass shows gas in it at all times (car is a 88 dx-carbed). He replaced one fuel filter, I told him to replace the other, we'll see how that works out. I have very little experience with carburated cars.

Any input will be greatly appreciated...thanx in advance.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If you don't have a thermostat, car will run very cold. Maybe you already checked?

If low idle occurs cold, the choke actuation may not be working. Not sure about 88, but many carbed cars use the choke mechansim to advance an idle stop cam to a higher idle position. Check choke mechanism for choking when cold, position of throttle plate and releasing as car warms.

I believe there may be a manual available for download from our Online Manuals links in DiY forum. This will explain details of carbureator and choke/ fast idle mechanism.

good luck

Old 02-13-2011, 12:04 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanx for the guidance, I'll look for the manual and check into the choke mechanism. This definitely isn't a thermostat issue, the car has heat. The gauge needle almost points completely down.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Before you buy a new cluster, check to rule out a broken wire from the sender.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Before you buy a new cluster, check to rule out a broken wire from the sender.
I'll look at that before trying to install the new cluster I guess....I already bought one shipped to me for $35, I didn't even think of that...very good idea...oh well, at least it was only $35.