General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cranks but Won't Start

Old 10-15-2009, 02:08 PM
haidung
Unregistered
Default Cranks but Won't Start

I have a 2003 Honda accord 4 cyl that will crank but will not start. The fuses all seem to be in good working order and were checked both visually and with a multimeter. We also tried to start it with some starting fluid and it did try to start so it seems to have spark.

The power windows will not work and the windshield wipers do not work.
We can't hear the fuel pump either.

I am definitely thinking relay. the dealer is suggesting that it is the fuel pump relay but I am not very confident that is the problem.
Does the fuel pump relay also control/activate relays for the power windows and wipers?
Is their a main relay that activates the other relays?

Thanks for any help!!!!

Old 10-15-2009, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Well first; Welcome to the website, this question really should go to the general tech help forum, I'll move it for you, and try to come up with some info for you

Last edited by hondadude; 10-15-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

okay..looking at the schematiuc and trying to split the circuit.
Go to the dash fuse panel; fuse #19 - 15 amp and check for power thru it with the key on.
If that is all good, go to the main relay and check for 'outbound' power on the Yellow/green wire that goes to the fuel pump.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:10 PM
haidung
Unregistered

Thanks for the info. I'll try this tomorrow.

Why would the wipers and windows fail to work at the same time? I sorta figured that there must be a main relay that activates relays for the fuel pump, windows, wipers etc. We called the local Honda shop and the parts guy said that the only relay that had a designation on it was for the fuel pump. He either couldn't or wouldn't give anymore info to us.

This is a coworkers car that broke down when he came to work. We work in a heavy equipment / road machine / trailer wire harness manufacturing facility. I am the Proto tech and I am very familiar with relays / fuses / diodes etc. We haven't been able to work on it much because of the rain. I have been trying to find a schematic for this car online. We are going to take the relay(s) out tomorrow and test them if the weather is fit.

Where can you find a schematic for this?

Old 10-19-2009, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

The wipers & windows might just be a coincidence.

The Honda "main relay" is 2 relays inside the same case. One relay powers the engine's control unit & most of the sensors & relays throughout the emmissions systems. The other relay switches power to the fuel pump. Not related to windows & wipers.