General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cylinder head/block dowel pin

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Default cylinder head/block dowel pin

On my 92 Accord I removed the cylinder head and cannot seem to pull out one of the two dowel pins) that insert into the block so that the head gasket can be positioned on it correctly when doing that task. The little part I'm talking about is the cylindrical part #23 as shown on this diagram/listing: http://estore.honda.com/honda/parts/...n=&b=E++10&dl=
Gripping and twisting with pliers it's still not coming out. The other one pulled right out easily. I think I already buggered it up little by having to pull and twist on it excessively and might have to get a new one. But meanwhile it's stuck in there (in the cylinder head insert recess). Any suggestions on how I might get it out without possibly it tearing and breaking off on the inside or something. I was thinking maybe try heating it up some with a torch? Or not a good idea?

Old 06-19-2013, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Some break cleaner and two picks at the top part in the head and a few good tugs......rotate picks 90 and another go????

If you heat, heat the head so it expands away from the dowel......use the pick again to try to pull it from the top of the dowel.

Can't remember, is there a "slot" in the dowel......or is is solid?

Old 06-19-2013, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Some break cleaner and two picks at the top part in the head and a few good tugs......rotate picks 90 and another go???? If you heat, heat the head so it expands away from the dowel......use the pick again to try to pull it from the top of the dowel. Can't remember, is there a "slot" in the dowel......or is is solid?
After further consideration I don't think using heat would be a very good idea on an aluminum head, so won't be trying torch/heat. The dowel isn't solid, it's just a hollow metal cylinder, no slot. This morning I tried putting some penetrating oil around where it's stuck in and letting it sit until I get home later and try tugging on it again. If it's still stuck tight I might try gripping it with some vicegrips and yanking it out. That will probably ruin it for sure but they are only about a buck each to buy (ordered from Honda parts place). Hopefully if I do that it won't tear and leave part of its metal inside the recess where I can't get anything to grip on it again. I'm sure hoping it'll come out with a just a little further persuasion. Don't know what the heck made it so stuck in there so tight in the first place.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry.....meant did it have a slot or a solid outside.

If you are going for a new one anyway....a block of wood for leverage and rip that bad boy out. One side of the wood to the head, then on the other that is where you can pry the vice grips on the wood......kind of like removing a nail with a hammer, a piece of wood in between helps get that sucker out.......you protect the surface of the head from damage.

Last edited by poorman212; 06-22-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:08 PM

Right, yeah important not to take a chance on damaging the head, at least protect it like you said with some wood if I'm gonna be prying against it with vicegrips. Thanks. I'll post back with success story or lack thereof.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:26 PM

If you are goinf for a new one anyway....a block of wood for leverage and rip that bad boy out. One side of the wood to the head, then on the other that is where you can pry the vice grips on the wood......kind of like removing a nail with a hammer, a piece of wood in between helps get that sucker out.......you protect the surface of the head from damage.
Success!
I did as suggested (quoted above) and ripped (actually leveraged and ripped) that bad boy out. I used a small size vice grips and a wooden paint stirrer stick to protect the head while I pried against it. It took a couple of tries, it didn't want to come easily, and it ripped a little so good thing I already ordered a new one. But hey that sucker is out. Thanks