General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

D4 light went off in accord 1998

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 01:48 PM
Default D4 light went off in accord 1998

Good day to you all in HAF. i just notice that my D4 light went off on the instrument panel this evening, but i think the automatic gear still selects. i will drive it around tomorrow sunday. what does it indicate for the light to go off. i hope is not a serious transmission problems. Other lights for Park, D3, D2, D1, N, and Reverse is still showing. Also all the light below the gear selector handle is not showing. please what might be the likely cause to look out for. could it be electrical? Honda accord 1998, auto trans, 4cylinder, vtec engine, 2.3 lx. before the d4 light went off there was no blinking of the d4 light

Last edited by Rilex; 03-12-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:30 PM

Probably just electrical. If you're lucky it may be just the bulbs. Swap the D4 indicator bulb with one of the other ones and see if the other one stays off and the D4 light works. If so, just replace the bulb. Also check the bulb for the PRNDL illumination and see if it's blown.

If those don't help, test the circuitry for any opens, shorts, or loose/corroded connections.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by BlackLX4
Probably just electrical. If you're lucky it may be just the bulbs. Swap the D4 indicator bulb with one of the other ones and see if the other one stays off and the D4 light works. If so, just replace the bulb. Also check the bulb for the PRNDL illumination and see if it's blown.

If those don't help, test the circuitry for any opens, shorts, or loose/corroded connections.
I just drove my sedan[honda accord] now, the transmission select very well and there is no whining sound or jerking from the transmission to suggest any problems from it. I wil be travelling to my workplaces on monday, is about 80km but i wil be back on tuesday, just hope the transmission will not fail on the road. When i come back i will replace the bulb on the D4. The illumination for PRND4-D1 is on when i switch on the light, there is no problem. The front engine mount is bad for something now can it be responsible for D4 bulb being out? What are the effects of bad front engine mount?

Old 03-14-2016, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rilex
I just drove my sedan[honda accord] now, the transmission select very well and there is no whining sound or jerking from the transmission to suggest any problems from it. I wil be travelling to my workplaces on monday, is about 80km but i wil be back on tuesday, just hope the transmission will not fail on the road. When i come back i will replace the bulb on the D4. The illumination for PRND4-D1 is on when i switch on the light, there is no problem. The front engine mount is bad for something now can it be responsible for D4 bulb being out? What are the effects of bad front engine mount?
This morning as i drove the car to my work place the D4 light came on, this journey i took is about 80km from my home. there was no problems with the transmission such as jerking or shuddering, it selects smoothly. can any one explain the sudden return of the D4 light. Thanks to you all